8| Searching memories

Memories. They're your most precious possession. What if they were lost?

Lotus (Papillon)'s POV, many years ago

"Betcha can't catch me!" I called to Praxis. We were both eevees and we were playing in our garden.

"Now, let's see about that!" he replied playfully.

Praxis chased me around the little sunlit clearing. The little butterflies fluttered from flower to flower. It was a typical summer day.

"Praxis! Lotus! Come in, it's lunchtime!" our mother, a sylveon said.

"Coming, mom!"

We both ran as fast as our little legs could carry us into our den. Lunch was a delicious soup.

"It's too hot," Praxis complained after we finished the meal. "Can we have some ice cream?"

"Sure," said our dad, who was an umbreon. He was reading the pokemon newspaper in the corner.

"Yay!"

The two of us went outside to eat the ice cream, and then we began to chase each other around again. The now empty bowls of ice cream lay forgotten in the grass.

Then, two dark shapes appeared.

"Oh ho ho ho what do we have here? Two little eevees huh? They would prove to be very useful," said a houndoom.

Praxis and I cowered in fear.

"Mama! Papa!" we shouted.

Our parents immediately rushed out, knowing that something went wrong by the panic in our voices.

They attacked the houndoom while we huddled in a shivering lump.

But right before the bad pokemon were completely defeated, one of them pushed me off of the cliff that was right next to the garden.

The last thing I heard of anyone from my family was a "LOTUS!!!! NOOOOOO" from Praxis.

The air flowed around me as I fell. "This is the end..." I thought, and squeezed my eyes shut.

A bit of sunlight shone on me. Then , I felt a burst of energy, and I landed on the ground.

When I opened my eyes, I was... confused.

Where am I? What happened??

I couldn't find an answer. No matter how hard I tried to remember, my head remained a blank as a sheet of paper.

I know I was an eevee... but when I looked down at my paws, they were purple. Then, I looked at my reflection in a puddle. I was an espeon. (a rather beautiful one in fact)

An alolan ninetales was walking around and it saw me.

"Why, it's an espeon! That's not a pokemon you see every day," she said. "Who are you?"

"Uh... the problem is... I don't know!"

"What happened?"

"I fell off that cliff right there... I can't remember!" I exclaimed.

"Do you know your name?"

"No" I said. My face fell.

She seemed to feel bad for me. "You poor thing, are you alone?"

"I think so..."

"Come with me. Someone so young as you shouldn't be out by themselves." she said. Well, I had no better choice, so I followed her to a big city. The ninetales told me it was the capital of the Northern Kingdom.

From then on, she did a bunch of papers and things like that, and she raised me. She called me "Papillon" because it meant "butterfly" in another language and I really liked butterflies.

Most of my "teachers" at a "school" say that I have impressive psychic abilities for my age. In fact, it was the first time any of them had seen a psychic type with all of the abilities: controlled telepathy, telekinesis, teleportation, and even long distance mental chatting. My classmates all looked up to me. Some of them, were even envious.

Especially a certain meowstic, named Melanie (the name means shadow). She always wanted psychic powers as good as mine, but she was just a typical psychic type with only one ability. Hers happened to be telepathy, one of the more terrifying ones.

Unfortunately, my one greatest flaw was I was too trusting.

She put the evil, the great Psi in me. Then she erased my memory so I didn't remember.

That reduced my abilities, since most of my energy was wasted on waging war with that spirit inside my head. It also made my lose my control sometimes, so when I get very shocked or surprised, or feel any strong emotion, my telekinesis may slip and many fragile things will explode (such as windows).

Over time, I have gotten used to this, but that didn't make it easier. Psi got stronger every time we clashed.

He even drove me to kill the head of the city. The thing had taken over me after work, and when I woke up again, I was in my office. The news was on about the event, and the memories were handed to me.

"I did it," I said, burying my face in my paws, "I can't believe you Psi! Why, why?!"

There was a bang as my flowerpot broke.

If only I could remember who gave me that Psi... I know that if I make them acknowledge that they gave him to me, then he would leave.

The crime was done.

There was no going back.

But I can try to stop anything of the like from ever happening again.