The Angel's Encounter - A My Hero Academia One-Shot

All Might's words cut Izuku deeply. His idol, the Symbol of Peace, who always said "anyone can be a hero" in his interviews, crushed his dreams of being a quirkless hero. He stood on the rooftop All Might had left him on, numb to the world. He couldn't even hear the large explosion that occurred moments after the hero left down the stairway. Eventually, a cold breeze shocked him out of his dissociative state, and he walked home slowly.

When he enters the door to his home, his mother dotes on him like the good parent she is. Izuku, riddled with guilt for doing it, lies to her and says he took a longer route due to a villain attack blocking the roads. She shows him the news clip she recorded for him, showing that Katsuki Kacchan had been taken by the sludge villain that nearly killed him. All Might saved Katsuki Kacchan before any permanent damage could occur. He's being held overnight at the hospital for observation. When asked if he wants to go visit, Izuku says no.

That evening, Izuku numbly tells his mother he's going out for fresh air. His mother, worried but trusting her son, lets him.

//

The sun just disappeared over the horizon when Izuku meets with the door to Aldera Junior High. With a small sigh, he enters the building, taking care to stay out of sight of the shoddy security cameras as he walks through the halls. It only takes a couple minutes before Izuku opens the door to the roof. He removes his shoes and socks, leaving them beside the doorway as he walks over to the ledge. He grips the guardrails tight, looking down at the street below.

"I forget how cold it can get at night, regardless of the season."

A sudden soft voice shocks Izuku from his daze, and his head whips around to meet the speaker. On top of the school's plant room sat a young man, right knee up with a semi-large scythe lazily draped over the same side's shoulder. Two pairs of gray angelic wings jutted from his back, pointed directly behind him. When he meets Izuku's gaze, his dark brown eyes began glowing brightly against the moonlit sky behind him. Those same eyes carried a weight Izuku felt but couldn't describe. The smile, knowing and soft, eased his nerves.

Izuku finally spoke. "Are... are you here to stop me?"

The unnamed man's head dips just a bit before shaking side to side. His voice remains soft as he replies, "No."

"Then why are you up here? When did you get here?"

"I've been here for the past twenty minutes, friend."

"Is that your quirk?" The excitement of possibly a new quirk to analyze shines through Izuku's eyes, barely peeking through the bleakness.

The man raises a brow, flashing the tiniest of smirks. "Nope, I don't have one."

Izuku blankly stares at the man now, befuddled by the reply. "No quirk? B-but then how..."

Before Izuku can rush into a dozen questions about the man's wings and imperceptibility, the man stands up with a soft huff. He jumps and floats down from the plant room's roof. Standing at the same elevation, Izuku can see that this man is the same height as him, if not just a centimeter or two shorter. His black short-sleeved muscle shirt and green sweatpants are in full view, too.