|I{•------» [48] «------•}I|

"Ruka!" The urgent voice called out, snapping Ruka back to attention. She swiftly moved off Idate and sat up, immediately sensing the danger that surrounded them. The adrenaline surged through her veins as she discarded the blood-stained arrow with a grimace, her focus sharpening.

Idate looked at her with disbelief, concern etched on his face as he spoke, "Are you sure you're okay, Ruka?"

With a reassuring smile, Ruka stood up, her determination shining through her eyes. "Yes, I am. We can handle this."

Their adversaries launched larger arrows with attached ropes, aiming to tether their boat to the enemy's vessel and close the gap between them. Naruto swiftly cut the ropes with the kunai given to him by Sasuke, but their boat was soon overwhelmed by water clones of the Rain Shinobi. Sakura covered Idate, while the rest of the team switched to offensive mode.

Sasuke's Sharingan enabled him to analyze the situation, and he warned the others, his voice laced with caution, "Watch out, everyone. One of them isn't a clone."

Amidst the chaos, the sky darkened with black rain—an oily substance that engulfed their boat. Soon after, a flaming arrow ignited the oil, setting the vessel ablaze. As a pillar collapsed, the boat began to crumble slowly, intensifying the urgency.

Panicked, Sakura turned to Ruka for guidance. "What are we going to do, Ruka?!"

Ruka's gaze met Sakura's, her resolve unwavering. "We dive into the ocean. It's our only option. Swim towards the island."

Without a word, Idate took the leap into the water, followed swiftly by the other genin and then Ruka, the chuunin, bringing up the rear. While Idate managed to reach the shore ahead of the others, Ruka sensed that he wasn't alone and urged them to hurry.

"The rain ninja are still after us," Ruka informed the team, urgency evident in her voice. "We need to move quickly."

Before she could say more, a sudden yelp escaped her lips as she was forcefully pulled beneath the water's surface. Desperately holding her breath, she struggled to free her ankle, but the powerful pull dragged her deeper into the depths.

Ruka's eyes widened as she noticed Sasuke, Naruto, and Sakura following her into the water. She shook her head frantically, attempting to signal them not to come after her, but they didn't catch her warning. Surrounding the genin, the water clones of the rain ninjas seized them, trapping them within their watery grasp.

Refusing to surrender, Ruka fought back, unleashing a series of kicks to break free from the clones' clutches. She propelled herself towards the nearest person—Sasuke—and swiftly slashed at the clones restraining him, liberating him from their grip.

With Sakura's arm wrapped around Naruto's neck, Ruka patiently waited for them to swim towards the surface. Finally, the trio emerged, gasping for breath as they joined her above water. Ruka took a moment to inhale deeply, her wet hair clinging to her face as she tucked it away.

---

---

---

After the intense encounter, Ruka wasted no time in leading her team forward, their journey pressing on. In the midst of a heavy downpour, they discovered Idate injured and nearly unconscious, lying on the ground with a stranger, an umbrella shielding them from the rain.

With Sakura's medical expertise, they tended to Idate's wounds, providing him with warmth and shelter in a nearby cave. Gradually regaining consciousness, Idate recounted his past, revealing the truth about Aoi, a

former Leaf village ninja, and how he had been used and forced to leave.

Naruto, fueled by his determination and concern for his friend, shouldered the responsibility of carrying Idate, his injured form resting on his back as they continued their journey. Now, as they approached a seemingly never-ending staircase, Ruka couldn't help but watch Naruto in awe. He had become incredibly fast and skilled, impressing her with his growth.

---

---

---

The scene transitioned to the evening, the team bidding farewell to Idate as they prepared to depart. In the midst of their farewells, a bird gracefully landed on Ruka's outstretched arm, bearing a letter in its beak. Gently taking hold of the missive, she watched as the bird flew away. A smile tugged at the corner of her lips as she read the letter's contents.

Congratulation on completing your first mission as a chuunin! Akamaru and I will be waiting for you at our usual place with a surprise!

- Kiba and Akamaru

She chuckled softly, calling Kiba an "idiot" affectionately before stowing the letter away in her bag. "Guys, let's go," she called out to her team, the excitement evident in her voice.

As they boarded the boat and bid their final goodbyes to Idate, Sasuke distanced himself from the group, brooding silently. Naruto, however, remained standing, waving his goodbyes persistently while Sakura and Ruka stepped back, giving him the space to bid his farewells.

Approaching Sasuke, Sakura found him seated by a wall, a bandage adorning his wounded stomach. She spoke softly, her concern evident, "Sasuke, does it hurt?"

His stoic demeanor remained intact as he replied calmly, "No, it doesn't."

Sakura's smile brightened, relief washing over her. "Oh, good. Your wounds will heal once we get back to the village."

From the corner of her eye, Ruka noticed the hardening of Sasuke's expression and his piercing gaze fixed on Naruto's back. Her eyebrows furrowed, a sense of foreboding settling within her. She knew he was planning something concerning Naruto.

Suddenly, Sakura's voice broke through her thoughts, drawing her attention. "Ruka! We need to change the bandage on your shoulder once we get back to the village!"

Ruka offered Sakura a gentle smile, her eyes closing momentarily. "Alright, mom," she playfully teased.

Sakura blushed, her playful glare returning. The bond between the team remained strong, even in the face of danger and uncertainty, as they sailed back to the village, their hearts filled with a sense of accomplishment and camaraderie.