Chapter 1

I looked out the window, as the Captain told us we were headed into our descent.

"As we are coming down, if you are looking out the left window, you will be able to see right into Yellowstone National Park," his voice rang throughout the cabin. "For my people on the right side, you're looking down right onto the Tetons."

'Finally', I thought. 'We're getting closer to the ground.'

It was not hard to look and see the two Parks, seeing as the plane only had one seat on each side. All 16 of us on the plane exchanged glances as we tried to see both sights.

Over the next few minutes, I started to doubt myself. I barely had any money to my name, no car, no one nearby.

'This was a horrible idea.'

Within seconds the slight jolt of the plane cued my fear of flying and the worry of landing to overcome my anxiety about what was to happen after I got on the ground. In some ways, I was thankful for it.

Stepping out right onto the tarmac, I was hit with Wyoming's cool - no, cold - May air. I clutched my flannel closer and walked into the smallest airport I had ever seen.

-

Have you ever been embarrassed by just existing? Have you ever felt ashamed for taking up space?

It was that feeling creeping in, as I waited for the ranch owner's sister. At least, that's who I was told to wait for over the phone when I agreed to the job months ago.

Considering there were 16 of us on that flight, all of whom had rides waiting for them, and about 7 people in total working the airport, it felt like all eyes were on me as I was the only one sitting down on the wooden bench to wait for a ride that had not arrived yet.

I took the chance to text Bruce and my parents that I landed safely.

"Doya need a ride?" A leathery older man came up to me slowly, dragging the heels of his boots with each step.

"Oh I'm good, just waiting on my ride to show up," I said with a smile. 'Should I be talking to a stranger?'

"Are ya here for the summer?," He peered from under his round brown-brimmed hat.

I paused, unsure if I should answer that. "Uh, yes. I'll be down at Buffalo Bear Ranch."

"Farrrr out there," he said while perking up his face. "Well, you let Jon know Clint said hey and to let me know if he needs me this summer for any breakin."

He walked away. Jon was the owner of the ranch.

'I guess this is as small a town as I remembered it.'

When a brown truck pulled up and a large, rough-looking man got out, I was still trying to piece together what the man meant by breaking.

"Elliana?" he asked. I nodded. "Let me help you with those bags."

He reminded me of some of the guys my friends and I would meet up with for bonfires back in Maryland. Or maybe the ones always country-line dancing at that shabby little bar in Florida. I laughed in my head as I remembered who he actually looked like, the country singer Luke Combs.

After he put, or rather threw, my bags in the trunk. I hopped in the back seat as he went back to the passenger side. I looked back worrying about what the state of my bags would be when I unpacked at the ranch.

Suddenly I remembered the woman in the driver's seat.

"Hi I'm Ellie," I said rather too loudly. I was nervous. "Thank you so much for picking me up. I really appreciate it."