i. the message

"so, let me get this straight, you're giving yourself six months to live like some sort of doctor to a cancer patient, then you're gonna blow your brains out?" enid asked, sitting in the room of her best friend, carl, as she arched her brow. carl, who was bent over his record player, placing a record on it, shook his head and shrugged. "yeah, pretty much." he murmured, letting out a quiet 'finally' when the record played.

enid scoffed a laugh, falling back onto carl's bed so carl could join her to rot in their shared misery. "what about your pedophilic boyfriend? actually, don't answer that, he's fifty, he'll find another fucked up teenager to love." she declared, making carl giggle a little as he settled down onto the bed, legs curled and his head hanging off the edge. he purposefully lifted his head as she spoke, a smirk making its way on his lips.

"none as good as me, though."

"no, no, of course not. who could ever beat a one eyed, fucked up teenager with daddy issues?"

the two broke out into laughter, with carl nearly falling onto his wooden floor and enid kicking him, which caused them to laugh more. eventually, though, they settled down and were returning to their typical conversations. typically meaning about either sex, trauma, school or getting high again. "has pedo messaged you at all? asking to for you to go over to his and fuck?" enid joked, but was slightly serious in her question, as she referred to negan, the elder man carl had been dating for about a month.

before carl could answer, though, his phone went off in his pocket. he groaned and dug it out, replying to enid as he read it, "guess who it is," he smiles as he hands enid the phone to read the text. her eyes scan the message as she reads it aloud, then widening her eyes at something specifically detailed that she most certainly did not want to know. "okay, go fuck your boyfriend, i'll make up an excuse for you to tell to your dad."

carl giggled and sat up, stumbling off his bed and pocketing the lighter enid had thrown at him the moment he landed on his feet. "i love you so much." he informed her, making her roll her eyes and shake her head. "i love you too, now get out of here so i can go home and get high." carl slid on his shoes, vans that he had borrowed from ron a few weeks ago and simply hadn't returned yet, and made his way to his window.

enid left the bedroom, making sure to sway a little as she walked down the steps and saw rick and michonne, watching a movie in the living room. "hey, enid, you feeling okay?" michonne asked as she eyed the teenage girl in front of her, making enid nod. "yeah, yeah i'm alright, just feeling a little nauseous, so i'm gonna head home. carl wanted me to tell you guys that he's taking a nap, though" she lied easily, only a little annoyed by rick's naiveness when the man nodded his head and turned back to the movie.

if she didn't know better, she would've assumed that rick didn't really give a shit about carl.