𝙵𝚎𝚊𝚛

"Are you sure you have everything," your grandmother asked.

You nodded.

"Are you absolutely positive?"

Another nod.

After your swelling died down, you still didn't talk.  Like you had thought, the scars from having a knife dragged through your skin had practically irradicated the words printed on your arm.  Some of the ink was still visible, but you couldn't make out what it once said if you didn't know what was originally printed on you.

You began your trek to school, walking down the sidewalk, staring at your feet.  Your backpack was swung over your shoulder, and it had a copy of a timetable and your locker information inside.  You didn't want to go into a public area, but you didn't have a choice.  Education came first, sadly.

You had always felt that the cops allergy excuse for the swelling was a bit strange, and frankly unrealistic.  But it didn't matter.  Whatever had caused the problem was long gone now, and either way, it wasn't like you were talking to people.

You hadn't even spoken a word to the kind old lady that had taken you in, and she was your grandma for god's sake!

You looked up at the bustling school building, watching as students trickled out of large yellow school busses, the parking lot practically in gridlock from the amount of cars, and so many people wandering around.  It looked terrifying.

You took a deep breath, and reached a hand into your pocket.  You had developed a habit of rubbing two coins together whenever you got nervous.  You found them on the floor when you were packing up your things to move to Woodsboro.  You'd think that law enforcement would be kind enough to not send you back into the home and through the room where the tragedy occurred, but no.

You fiddled around with the two coins in your pocket as you walked on to school property, trying to focus on the way they felt rather than the fear that was eating away at your insides.

You managed to find your first class fairly easily, and you sat down in an empty seat towards the middle of the room.  You had all the supplies you needed at the ready, prepared for anything your teacher had in store.  Sitting on top of the desk was a notebook and pencil, in case anyone tried to talk to you.  You had just begun to use the medicine excuse the officer had given you whenever someone asked why you didn't talk.

Somehow, 'Doctors gave me some antibiotics I was allergic to and accidentally messed up my vocal cords with muscle swelling' sounded far better than 'I'm scared of humanity after watching my dad die, so I don't want to talk to anyone I don't have to.'

Hopefully, none of your new classmates were really into medicine or something, because if you of all people picked up on the excuse being strange, they'd probably not have pity on you, and odds are, you'd be branded a liar.

Suddenly, a blonde girl took the seat next to you, and shoved her hand out.

"Hi!  I'm Casey," she greeted.

You shook her hand, opened up your notebook, and scribbled down a greeting for her.

"Oh, are you mute," Casey asked.

You jotted down the answer 'Something like that,' for her, and showed her the page.

"Well, it's a pleasure to meet you regardless!  You seem very nice!"

She offered you a smile, one that you quickly returned.  You had managed to make a friend this quickly!  That was a good omen, right?!

"So, do you have a soulmate," she asked.

'Yeah,' you wrote, quickly showing her what was left of the soulmark on your arm.

You were scared of admitting to people that you technically had two soulmates, since less than 2% of people experienced this phenomenon.  And you didn't want to get labeled a freak on your first day.  And since this soulmark was visible (since it was on your lower arm), it was the easiest one to show off.

"Oh my god, what happened?!"

Oh yeah, you forgot to tell her your tragic backstory.  Great.

'I was attacked one night.  I'm fine, and I don't want to talk about it,' you told her.

"Alright...  Don't worry, nothing ever happens in Woodsboro.  This place is boring as hell.  And completely safe," she reassured you.

'Do you have a soulmate,' you asked, trying to shift the conversation.

"Oh yeah!  Steve, he's actually the school's offensive lineman!  He's good enough to go pro one day, colleges are offering him scholarships left and right," Casey ranted.

You listened to her as she spoke, nodding and making facial expressions so she knew you were still listening.  By the time the teacher finally walked in and started class, you knew practically everything about Steve.  From his favorite color to his shoe and belt size.

When class ended, Casey took a look at your schedule, and made a plan to meet you after every class so she could show you where you needed to go.  Which you were thankful for.  This place seemed like a maze.

Before you could leave your seat, though, the boy who had been sitting behind you gently tapped your shoulder.

"Hey, you're the new kid, right," he asked.

You nodded, a little nervous.  You've had the entire class period to warm up to Casey, and this guy was just new to you.  You had the right to be a bit fearful at the moment.  Especially with some factors, such as the loud and unruly students filing out of the classroom to get to the next class, the groaning teacher cursing everyone out under her breath, and the fact that you didn't actually know Casey all that well... it was unnerving all at once.

"My name's Randy, what's yours," he questioned.

"(y/n)'s mute Randal," Casey told him.  "You've been sitting behind us this entire time, did you hear anything?"

"No, because I, for one, believe eavesdropping is rude," he informed her.

'What a gentleman,' you thought.

While his thought process was a bit un-helpful in this situation, overall, it was a good outlook.  You were excited by this.  Most dudes your age were perverted, and total sleezeballs.  This... this was nice.  Maybe there was some hope for these boys after all.

"(y/n), we'd better get going.  Your next class is on the other side of the school," Casey told you.  "If was nice talking to you Randal!"

And with that, she grabbed the arm that wasn't covered in a marred message, and began to drag you towards the door excitedly.  You admired her enthusiasm, but you wanted to just run out of the school and go home.

Maybe it was a good thing she had physically grabbed you... she could keep you from skipping class and getting in trouble on your first day.

A/n: just got home from watching the new 'Shazam' movie with my best friends.  And one's younger brothers love me now since I brought Cheetos.