Scaley Secrets

Marrow moved quickly and silently through the forest. His feet made loud noises as he stepped on several twigs and leaves that were scattered on the forest floor. His hand was encircling my wrist in a tight grip. I could feel myself sinking into the marshy waters of the swamp as he dragged me along. My feet could rarely reach the bottom of the swamp and since I couldn't swim, I would find myself panicking if Marrow wasn't there. "Akun," Marrow's rough voice called, as he tried to relax me. I turned my head quickly and focused my attention on him rather than the water. When we reached land, I could feel my pants sticking to my legs making me rather uncomfortable. Marrow's hand danced from my wrist to my shoulder where he squeezed slightly, which was a sure sign to stay where I was.

He walked forward a couple steps before turning right and disappearing from my sight. There was a quiet sound of moving branches and then a strange cry. I flinched. A high pitched could be heard in the direction that Marrow had gone. Suddenly worried, I followed the path Marrow had taken. The shrieks got louder as I drew closer. The entrance to the cave had long branches that had grown downward stretching across it.

"Marrow," My voice was almost a whisper as I maneuvered my way through the branches. Several scratched at my arms but I ignored the pain trying to reach my friend who could be injured. The sight before my eyes was relieving. Marrow was kneeling, his back towards me. From the looks of it, he seemed unharmed and well. His brown hair was as messy as it was when we came here and his pale skin had no new cuts. I drew closer trying to startle him when my eyes fell on a creature struggling in his lap.

The tiny creature was covered in dark blue scales from head to toe. Its claws were small but sharp and its eyes were grey and full of fear. It continued to make high pitched cries as it tried to free itself from Marrow's grip as he tried to calm it. I slowly stepped back, both confused and shocked about what I had seen. It couldn't be. My mouth suddenly became dry. I tried to find words but they became stuck in my throat.

"He's cute, isn't he?" Marrow's voice calmed me a little. I was still unsure if what I was seeing was really there.

"Come closer."Marrow whispered and I did so warily. The last time someone had even had a glimpse of a dragon was thousands of years ago when King Medrine slew the last one and used its blood to give his first born its first bath.

"Marrow. They're all supposed to be dead. What if they find it?" Marrow stopped trying to calm the beast down.

"You don't think I've thought of that? That's why he's here in the cave, Akun." My eyes glanced at the creature again. Its eyes had turned on me. I stopped breathing. It was cute but how long before it wasn't? How long before it starts burning down villages, kidnapping princesses and all the horrible things mothers tell their children about?

"I want to ride it." I quickly snapped out of my thoughts.

"Are you crazy?" My eyes shifted between the creature and Marrow. "That thing is dangerous."

"My ancestors were riders. They rode dragons as if it were a necessity. I want to the wind to flow though my hair. I want to breathe in the smell of the clouds. I want to feel free."

"Well you can feel free without me." I started to walk away but Marrow caught my wrist.

"They're not bad. Those stories that are told to us at a young age are used to scare us so we will praise the king for destroying these so called monsters." His voice dripped with venom. "When what we really should do is hate him. Dragons are no threat to us."

My hard glare softened. I placed my free hand on his head. "There is nothing we can do. Our loyalty should belong to our king."

"We can fight." I kneeled slowly. The creature now had more freedom to move without both of Marrow's arms restraining him. We stared in each other's eyes, something we did often. I tried to fine some ounce of playfulness, a sign that he was joking. I frowned and shook my head when I found none.

"I can't." I removed my hand from his head. After realizing I wasn't joking, he loosened his grip on my wrist to the point where I could slide my arm out.

"You won't tell?"

"I promise."

I quickly left, afraid that if I didn't I would give in. Giving in to Marrow wasn't something I planned on doing anytime soon.

By the time I reached the familiar surroundings of my small village, it was night. The moon gave little light as I wandered to my house. I slowly opened the door, hoping it wouldn't creek as it normally did.

"What 'a trying to do? Give me a heart attack?" I jumped not possibly thinking anyone would still be awake at this hour. Fzera got up from his chair by the fire. He brushed his large hand through that red tangled mess he called hair.

"Can't Marrow hunt by himself instead of dragging my sister around after dark?" He narrowed his grayish eyes. I almost wanted to tell him that hunting had nothing to do with the trip with Marrow but I promised I wouldn't.

"I'm sorry, Fzera."

"Sorry doesn't feed the young ones Akun."He came closer his hand raised. I flinched, ready to be punished. Instead his hand landed on my hair. He awkwardly ruffled my hair causing silver strands to fall in my eyes.

"Luckily Mina was here." I let out the breath I didn't know I had been holding. "Don't think 'a off so easy. Be ready to work at dawn." A groan escaped my lips but was quickly silenced by Fzera placing a hand on my face. "And tell Marrow to get you home early or find a new hunting partner."

I giggled, playfully smacking his hand from my face. "Yes captain, sir." I said giving a small salute before running to the back of the house. The room I rested in was shared with younger orphans my brother found on his journeys at sea. He came back with them about a year ago. I opened the door slowly.

"Papa?"

"It's alright Shuno. It's me." I said walking to the awoken boy. He yawned, his eyes still closed. His blonde hair was everywhere and I brushed it out of his eyes.

"Akun?"

"Yes Akun" I said my voice soft in an attempt not to wake the other children. The boy was about five but still acted like a baby which was fine with me since I loved him to death. My hand went to lay him back down and pull the covers over him.

"And Akun will be here when I wake?"

"Yes, Shuno." I said before kissing his forehead and sitting on the ground. I leaned my head against the edge of the bed. I promised I would be here and I wanted to keep this promise to him. I slowly drifted asleep almost forgetting the events that happened earlier.