xvii. babies

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

Luna paced in the halls of Aylesbury in pain as she clutched her stomach, she breathed in and out trying to calm herself. She froze in fear when she felt something wet trail down her thighs, she reached under the dress and realized that blood covered her hand. She was in labor, it was too early for them to be born. And she was alone, without her husbands. Without Uhtred or Osferth. She had no one to guide her through this. She groaned in pain as she leaned over a table, and a gentle hand touched her back.

"Lady Luna? What is it?" She shot a glare at the princess and shoved her off. The last person she wanted to touch was Aethelflæd, she would have preferred Skade.

"Do not touch me." She snapped in anger, she didn't need the additional stress. But Aethelflæd didn't seem to understand that.

"Sister, leave her." Edward said coming to Luna's aid.

"She's in labor, she needs my help." Aethelflæd demanded and went to grab her again, Edward intercepted her and guided Luna against the wall.

"I can help you," Edward whispered to Luna. "I was married in secret and I had helped my wife with our children. I can help you, only if you want it." Luna hesitated for a moment but she realized she would feel more comfortable with him rather than the princess, she nodded and a part of her felt delighted in the hurt expression on the other woman's face.

Edward held her waist as he guided her into her room, he called upon the nearest maid for supplies. He propped her up with the pillows as he laid her down and looked at her for permission to lift her dress, she groaned at the wave of pain that shot through her and nodded.

"Deep breaths, alright? Deep breaths." He muttered softly, she did as he asked and swore that she was gonna kick both of her husband's asses when they get back. "Have you decided on names?" Edward ashes as if he wasn't currently poking around between her thighs.

"What?" She snapped at the prince, Edward ignored the harshness and waited.

"A name, for your child," He answered and gently soothed her by lowering his voice. "Have you and your husbands decided on any names?"

"Sihtric has, they're his biologically so Finan and I wanted him to name them." She answered with a pained moan, and Edward nodded along. "Tormund and Torunn."

"What do they mean?" He questioned and if he wasn't helping her she would have kicked him in the head out of irritation.

"Thor's love and protection." Edward hummed as he timed her contractions.

"I hadn't realized Danes honored their gods so highly as we do." He said politely and quickly got the towel ready for the first child. "I have never met a woman that's survived with twins, my lover excluded. Do you..." He trailed off with concern.

"I will be fine, lord. I have Skade's protection, no harm with come to me or my children. That I promise you." Edward didn't look convinced but he didn't speak of the matter again. After hours of tiresome pain and strength, her first child was delivered, her son Tormund. Edward gently cleaned the boy and handed him to Luna when she had a moment of peace.

Tormund was beautiful. The little tufts of dark hair on his pale skin made her smile, he opened his eyes when she spoke his name. To her amazement, he held his father's grey-green eye and the other was a dark brown, almost black. She was in awe of how much he looked like Sihtric, she smiled up at Edward who wiggled his finger in front of the baby. One of the maids entered with his call and cleaned the baby as her contractions announced the arrival of her last child.

"You have to leave soon, lord." Luna reminded the prince, he had to help Uhtred and his men by morning.

"And I will, but I refuse to leave you alone in this state." She was grateful for his stubbornness. Her son was taken care of by the maid and under orders to do no Christian traditions on the boy, the maid did as asked afraid she would suffer the wrath of the Danes. And in a few more painful hours, her daughter was born.

Unlike her twin, she looked exactly like Luna. Or that's what Edward claimed. She had the prettiest light brown eyes Luna had ever seen, even lighter than her own. Torunn cried softly when the maid cleaned her up and only stopped when she was placed next to her brother in the cradle.

A knock on the door startled all parties involved, Luna was just glad the maid helped clean her up as Edward watched over the children. Alfred walked in after being invited to and grew confused at the sight before him, Edward held one of Luna's children as she fed the other. He was alarmed and shocked that Edward didn't even glance her way as she did something so private as feeding a child, out of respect for her he didn't acknowledge it either.

"Hello, lord king." Luna said sleepily as she gazed down at the child.

"Are you alright?" The king asked as he placed a cold hand on her forehead with worry, she reached up to squeeze his hand.

"I am, do not waste any time on me with concern. Just help bring my men back to me, I do not wish for my children to not know their fathers." She whispered and Alfred nodded with a small smile.

"As you wish, Lady Luna. Aethelflæd will be here if you need anything." Luna grimaced at the name but nodded anyway.