"𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐮𝐦𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠"

If you'd told Betty 2 months ago that she was finally in a relationship, she would've laughed in your face. Those lazy hazy crazy days of late spring and early summer were bliss, a wave of inconsequential romance submerged the young couple.

I couldn't ask for anything more.

This though was a commonplace within Betty's subconscious; contentment and fulfilment were all at one with her.
Amongst the whirlwind affection, baskets of carnations she'd mistaken for roses and copious date nights, Betty felt more serene than she ever had before.
The teens small heels clicked soundly on the cobblestones that led towards the highschool, adjacent to the methodist church.

The final day of junior year had crept up on the couple, stealthily sneaking up behind them and catching the lovers off guard. Neither of them was particularly revelling in the idea of entering senior year; however the buffer of a long, affectionate summer seemed to soften the blow.

I won't really see him though.

Ah yes.
Betty's family trip to the Lake District loomed ominously on the horizon of her promised "summer of romance".

It's only for a month...

Alot can happen in a month.

We deserve to spend all summer together.

Betty opts to push her tirade of thoughts about her August trip aside and focus on the day at hand. There was absolutely no use in day dreaming about "what if's", even if she was deeply dreading leaving James.

Focus on the dance.

A silly, superficial high school dance, teeming with vivacious streamers and over dressed 17 year olds, desperate to impress.
And yet she was dying to attend.
If only James didn't denounce all social gatherings or recoil at the concept of large crowds.

She was considering simply arriving with Inez or some of the other girls; after all she was on the committee. And didn't she want one night of junior year fun? Even if she couldn't attend with James, perhaps he wouldn't mind if she went for the both of them.