Chapter Eight: "It's What's On the Inside That Counts"

(A/N: Can we just appreciate the amount of research I did for this chapter?)

General spun around in the dark, misty void. The sound of his engine echoed in a seemingly endless loop, though, with nothing for it to echo off of. His headlights were useless in helping him to see farther, only succeeding in reflecting off of the fog. He proceeded forward blindly, listening for any signs of life.

He finally found him after a few minutes, laying on the ground, one arm over his face. General revved his engine, trying to get his attention.

"Bo. Bo, wake up. Talk to me," he rumbled.

He watched as the blonde Duke lifted his arm from his face, blue eyes turning to look at him. A small grin slowly spread across his face.

"Hey," he said, "figured you'd be here."

"What happened? One minute you were walkin' in the house, then next you're here," General said.

Bo shrugged and sat up, his smile fading away. "I remember bein' dizzy, then feelin' a pain in my stomach, next thing I know I'm passed out."

General grew quiet.

"I'm gonna die... ain't I?" Bo asked.

General shook himself. "No, no, you ain't gonna die, I'm gonna make sure of it. Autumn stopped by, she's gonna get help, figure out what Hughie poisoned you with. For now, you just sit tight, and just know Luke's here with ya, and so are Uncle Jesse and Daisy."

Bo laughed and laid back down, folding his arms behind his head. "Oh Luke, I wonder how he's doin'."

General shifted on his suspension. "Can't say, haven't been in there, but I imagine he ain't left your side."

It wasn't a moment later that General noticed he was no longer laughing and he heard Bo sigh.

"General, I said some terrible things... and I never properly apologized now that I think about it. I know that probably don't seem all that important right now but... I-I just feel like I got too much to say to him, and I'd hate for him to go on thinkin' I ain't sorry when I am."

General's engine rumbled. "Bo, I think that, with a bond like yours, Luke already knows without you havin' sayin' it. I wouldn't worry, and if anythin', you can tell him when you come to."

"If."

"When."

Bo sighed again, staring up at nothing. After what seemed like hours, he finally said, "I wonder what's goin' on out there."

General followed his gaze, shifting on his suspension. If he listened carefully enough, he could barely make out the faint hum of voices in the air. "Couldn't tell ya," he said, "Defects ain't allowed in the house."

Bo scoffed, looking over at him and smiling, listening for the voices as well. "You reckon Autumn's back yet?"

General shifted on his suspension again. "Maybe, wish I could hear what they were sayin'."

"Me too."

"You could if you'd just open your eyes."

"I know."

"So why don't you?"

"It ain't up to me, General. And besides, I was in quite a bit of pain before I went under. All I can do now is sit tight and pray that someone comes up with a solution."

General's engine rumbled once more. "I got faith in Autumn, she's a smart gal, she'll figure somethin' out, I'm sure."

Another long moment of silence plagued the void until Bo finally spoke up again.