002 | I see you

"That's one of the kids I was talking about," Hugo whispered.

Passersby is giving her a look but that's just how far they can go. I nudge Hugo to go home first.

"You can't save everyone, Ian." Hugo rolled his eyes, already guessing that I'll probably stay here trying to win her attention.

"Shut the fuck up and do as I say." I hissed. I didn't ask for his lousy comment.

He was about to retort but dropped it and took the bike with him.

I didn't approach her immediately of course. There's just this bubble of shyness as if I'm not itching to talk to her for the few days that I didn't see her, nor the days after she committed. It's embarrassing, I'm conflicted about whether to let her notice me or introduce myself, properly this time.

I noticed that she stopped crying.

There's a huge part of me that wanted to be by her side to wipe her tears but I just stood there as if I was the reason that she was upset- I knew that because of the people who gave me nasty looks as they walked by.

It felt like an eternity until I saw her jerk her head in my direction and I immediately turned my gaze away from her and started walking.

I was not a coward but I was afraid that if I approached her, she won't remember what I did but instead, she'll remember what she did. It's probably fresh from her mind, eating her up and if she recognizes me, it's like reliving a nightmare.

I mean, I can't prevent that from happening, we live on an island. I'll probably end up bumping toward her again, and I-

I just continued walking away from her. I didn't look back, I didn't think of the consequences, I just retreated. I took a turn and that's when I tried to take a peek.

She finally stood up and wiped her face dry before walking away as if nothing happened.

I followed her because I was concerned but to others, I acted like a creep. Though I tried as if I'm not. I walked normally but when she sensed that she was being followed and turned around, I might have dove toward a bush here and there, I was quite surprised that there were countless bushes I could hide in.

She led me to her house. It was normal looking, a good paint job would make it more presentable. I can see a young man, bloated by the love of his family, on the porch waiting for her with a water balloon in hand.

He had a smug look on his face once he saw her. She was walking with caution so I know she noticed him. She took a beeline toward the back of their house, the boy's face fell but immediately went after her.

I didn't try hiding myself now. The back of their house led to an opening so I could see them. I grimaced at the grease on his skin dampening his clothes and the fat that moved like jelly as he ran but failed to catch her.

Despite losing, he still tried throwing the water balloon but it missed her greatly as she ran far until both of us could no longer see her.

I made a mental note to know who he was but then I remembered from what I had heard, he must be her brother- not by blood as she was adopted a few years back.

The boy was out of breath but I didn't bother interacting with him as I tried to catch up with her.

------

She was fast for a person who had nowhere to go. I was catching up to her for a minute and when I slowed down, she was out of my sight again. To be honest I was getting tired but I was confused when she led me to a dead-end alley which was kind of strange since she was nowhere to be found.

I lifted the hood of trash cans looked behind some crates and even tried opening the backdoor of an establishment but failed to do so.

I must have taken a wrong turn but then I heard her voice above me.

"You're a terrible stalker."

I looked up and there she was, sitting on the crumbling window sill on the second floor, her foot dangling above my head.

"How did you get there?" I ask fascinated.

She looked pleased. "Well, when a short fatty hogs the room, you have no choice but to learn how to climb over the built-in shelves he can't reach..."

She must be referring to her brother.

"...I'm kidding. I work here." She said. "So... Can't get enough of me huh? Saved me once and now you're in love?" She teased then gave me a toothy smirk.

"You're cocky for a girl who was just crying a while ago."

"If I don't cry, I might stab him with a fork, and that won't be pretty wouldn't it?"

"No, Aren't you too young to be working?"

"I'm flattered. Well, I lied on my resume and the people here are too lazy to verify my age." She moved out of the window sill to go inside.

I thought that was the end of our interaction, though I was leaning for the worst but I'm relieved that she's okay, I think more than okay but I get it. Masking her feelings with humor, it isn't the first time that I've seen it since I have Hugo.

I was about to turn around when I heard the door that I tried opening a while ago bolted open.

"So, Want some tart?..."

I didn't expect her question, I wanted to decline but there was this feeling inside me that demanded to stay longer, I was probably just worried.

I look at her face again.

No sign that she'd cried but it was quite alarming that she hadn't dropped her smile.

"...It's the least I could after that... Anyway," her expression dropped for a moment before regaining her smile.

"Uh, yeah sure." I pretended not to notice.