xviii. the fathers

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

Luna flinched when the doors to her room shot open, the babies cried softly making her glare at the newcomers. Sihtric and Finan froze at the sight before them, Edward had informed the two that Luna had her children but it hadn't hit them until now.

They moved to the cradle where the twins were kept, he and Finan both held one of the kids gently. She watched tiredly as they cooed at the babies and her heart warmed at the sight.

Finan giggled when Torunn pulled at his beard making the Irishman smile widely and tap her nose lightly with his pinkie finger. Sihtric held his son with a soft expression as he rocked the baby, Tormund blinked slowly at the sight of the man.

"Hello, my little warrior." Sihtric spoke lovingly as he looked up at Luna with pure love. She smiled at her husband and looked at the Christian, Finan was pretending he wasn't affected by clearing his throat to avoid becoming emotional. She placed a hand on his arm to reassure him, Finan gave her a small smile as he refused to let his daughter leave his sight.

"She looks just like you," Finan said as he caressed the baby's head gently, Sihtric kissed his son's head as he walked to them. "And Tormund looks like Sihtric, poor little guy." Finan teased and ignored the playful glare Sihtric sent his way.

"They're beautiful, my moon. So beautiful." Sihtric said with pride as he gazed down at the twins.

"He's right, ya know? Your children will be deadly little things." Finan teased with a grin.

"Our children." Sihtric corrected making Finan pause and she could see that his eyes were glossy from unshed tears, Sihtric placed his forehead against Finan's to comfort the man. "They are our children, Finan. You are just as much their father as I am." She watched as her husbands comforted one another and giggled when Torunn tugged at Finan's beard once more.

"Come, sit down." She moved slowly to give them some room, she hissed in pain as her body felt like it had taken a beating. Finan and Sihtric began to panic and she waved them off with a small smile. "I am alright, I promise. It is to be accepted after birthing two children." Her husband's silence worried her and she reached out to place a hand on both of their faces.

"We should have been here." Finan whispered with sadness, Sihtric kissed her wrist as he continued to rock his son to sleep.

"Yes, you should have. But you are both warriors, I do not expect you both to be here all the time." She reassured them and sat back to watch them interact with the babies. They both unintentionally claimed a favorite, it seemed. Sihtric had attempted to give Tormund back to her but the boy cried until he could once again bury his face back into Sihtric's biceps. Torunn, unlike her brother, was just amazed by the world she was witnessing. She liked to tug Finan's beard, whether it be because it was coarse against her skin or to simply test the new scenery.

A light knock on her door sounded in the mostly silent room, she invited the person in and watched as Uhtred hesitantly walked in. He hovered by the entrance until she held out her hand for him, the Dane quickly grasped it and leaned down to kiss her sweaty forehead.

"You did good, Luna." Uhtred praised as she leaned against him, she missed the feeling of his arms around her. She was still very much hurt and angry but for the time being, she put that on pause.

"You both have a beautiful mother and two strong fathers," Finan paused before continuing. "Three, if he decides to get his head out of his arse." Finan shot Uhtred a dirty look and made her laugh quietly.

"And uncle Osferth." She added making Finan frown.

"Baby monk will need to heal before he can hold you." Finan whispered to the babies making Sihtric nod. She looked to Uhtred in confusion, he sighed and leaned over to speak quietly.

"He was injured. He will recover soon, he did well." Uhtred spoke making her relieved. Finan moved to Uhtred and offered to let him hold the girl, Uhtred quickly looked at her for permission, she nodded and watched the Dane cradle the baby in his arms.

"You're so precious." Uhtred whispered and smiled when the girl reached up to touch his face, he leaned down to allow her the chance. Luna pulled Finan down next to her and laid her head on his shoulder and the Irishman kissed her head when a soft smile.

"Beocca cannot say they look like a rat, at least." Sihtric teased playfully making them laugh.

Tormund huffed as Sihtric accidentally jostled him and reached up to place a hand on Sihtric's mouth to get him to stop, Finan immediately chuckled at the sight.

At that moment, nothing else mattered. It was just them and their children. Aethelflæd and Skade weren't of concern, the war with the Danes didn't matter here. All that mattered was the twins.

Sihtric, once again, attempted to hand his son off but this time to Finan. The boy refused to let go of Sihtric and he grabbed Sihtric's thumb to hold it as tightly as he could. Which wasn't much. Tormund's favorite was already Sihtric, it seemed fitting after all.

"I hope you know, Sihtric, that you will have to put him to bed. He has claimed you as his favorite parent." Luna said softly and Sihtric grinned down at the baby with softness.

"I'll put him to bed after we eat." Sihtric said as he leaned down to kiss her.

"I'll stay here, I want to rest some more. Join me later, alright?" She watched as Uhtred and Sihtric tensed at the comment and Sihtric looked down at his son sadly and with guilt, Luna looked at her husband with a frown.

"Yes, later." He whispered and before she could question his mood change, Uhtred announced they should leave her and the twins to rest.