What the hell ?

James Lucas Scott

James Lucas Scott

It was the start of new school year, at least for highschoolers and since I wasn't returning to Duke anytime soon. Here I am at Tree Hill High. I used to run this school. I used to be a star here and now looking at it. I felt so disconnected. This was where Madison and I truly fell in love. I let out a deep sigh as I felt a hand slap my back,"You ready to get this team into shape, Scott?" I groaned shrugging the hand off, "Hello, Nathan. How are you?" He nodded with a wide smile, "Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful, there was this girl last night and-" I nodded along, "That's great, Smith." I walked ahead of him trying to keep distance.

God, he was so clingy. I thought I escaped him when I graduated. I was clearly wrong because here he was. We were not close enough to be having this kind of heart to heart conversation, I really didnt care about this random hook up he was never going to speak to again.

It wasnt my problem, we are not our fathers which seems to be something he keeps forgetting, not that our fathers even are a close as they were in high school anymore so not sure where he got the idea that were all buddy buddy. I mean he was two years younger than me and he made varsity his sophomore year so I kind of took him under my wing but once, I graduated there no means for a friendship.

As for this mystery girl, what girl in her right mind would give a guy like Nathan Smith the time of day. I mean there would have to be something seriously wrong with this girl for her to find Nathan Smith appealing in anyway. Even when he was a sophomore, he was kind of a pig. Whatever.

I'm lucky my dad agreed to allowing me to take a semester off. Although, that meant I had to be here helping Uncle Lucas and for some reason Nathan Smith is also a helper that my Uncle recruited. Lucky me.

I made my way out onto into the gym and he just wouldnt shut up about this girl. Its like she had him under some sort of spell or something. The cheer team wandered in. I knew them all due to Lydia being head cheerleader last year and Madison and Sawyer always wanting to help her.

Olivia waved at me from across the gym. She was made for cheerleading, she always a pep in her step. There Brooke was. She was tying her hair up as she ran into the gym. She hugged Olivia and both of them starting looking around as though they were searching for someone.

I watched their eyes look to the other girls. That's when it hit me. Lydia wasn't in this group. That made no sense. Lydia worked so hard to be head cheerleader and to save the cheer team last year. Olivia pointed at her phone as she looked at me, mouthing, 'Call Lyds.' I nodded, grabbing my phone out of my pocket, I clicked her contact. The phone ringed with no answer. I texted her. Nothing. I sent another. Again nothing. I looked towards the group and for some reason Nathan stood over there talking to Brooke.

She was laughing and twirling her ponytail. She was smiling really wide. I had only seen her smile like that a few times in the passed few weeks. Why was she smiling like that with Nathan? I was in trance, trying to understand. She wouldn't entertain a guy like this. I mean it's Nathan Smith. Brooke wouldn't ever touch him.

Coach Carter broke it up and Nathan jogged towards me. A dorky smile spread across his face. I stiffened as I tried to start doing what I was meant to do which was getting the basketballs out.

I went to equipment closet and started. Nathan helping along side me. I wanted to ask questions. I desperately wanted to but everytime I though of a way to word it, I just kept reminding myself it truly wasn't my business.

I sighed as Nathan nudged me, "Looks like my girl was just made head cheerleader." My girl. MY GIRL. I coughed stumbling back a way. Before I just raised an eyebrow at him, "Who do you happen to be talking about, Smith?" He smirked pointing to the group.

The girls swarmed Brooklyn. Coach Carter was nodding. "The pretty little brunette. That is the girl I've been going on about." He put his hands out in front of him and waved them out, "Brooklyn Gatina." I gawked at him so Brooke and him. I just nodded before I punched his shoulder. "Come on. Gotta go meet Coach Scott." He laughed. Not many things shock me but Nathan Smith with my Brooke, definitely did.

I looked at the group once last time, Brooklyn looked so happy but I could tell a trace of worry lingered around her and Olivia. My phone vibrated. There across the screen from Lydia, a text read, 'I quit this morning. All is good.' I sighed shoving my phone back in my pocket. That was something I'd have to deal with. It just didn't make sense for her.

AN : chapter 12 is out and ready !!

— kenaki
xoxo