Chapter 4

Beomgyu appraises his new potion shop.

The floors have been completely replaced and varnished, the tables no longer medieval inspired but reminiscent of one of those fancy cafes in Gangnam. He quite likes it, especially the new light bulbs that hang like huge fireflies in a sporadic pattern throughout the ceiling.

He looks down at the vial before him. It's empty now, but he is determined to fill it today.

His brewery also has a new look, with actual marble counters and a wood stove that has gold trimming and sturdy, horse-like legs. He fires it up and throws in all the ingredients. He's so close to perfecting the love potion. He can feel it.

Cinnamon, fresh sugarcane, rose petals, and the center of a honeycomb. His fingers shake a bit when he throws in the rarest ingredient—lava that has hardened less than a week ago.

The mixture turns pink and purple, but this time its sheen has a hint of gold. It bubbles for a total of five seconds before Beomgyu lowers the heat. When it stays its vibrant color, Beomgyu quickly pours it into an empty vial. He corks it, watching to see whether it will stabilize.

When the potion remains vibrant for the next five minutes, Beomgyu realizes that he's done it. He's successfully made a love potion.

He knows that someone will have to drink it to see whether its effects will truly flourish, but after years of crafting different potions, he knows a good one when he sees it. He wants to pick it up again, but he's scared of dropping it. Wouldn't that be the cherry on top of all the bad luck he's had so far?

The door jingles, and Beomgyu heads out to greet whoever it is. Being that it's the cusp of morning, he has no customers yet. They'll steadily come in over the next few hours. He thinks that the first customer is one of his usuals—an old man that always orders a potion for reminiscence. Or a middle aged woman who comes for a sleeping potion on the daily.

Instead, there's a handsome boy dressed in jeans cut at the knees, a white t-shirt and black flannel. He grins when the door closes behind him, ruffling up his pinkish hair. Beomgyu can't believe his eyes.

"Taehyun?" he says. "I haven't seen you in a month. I thought you might've moved somewhere."

"Going without saying goodbye?" Taehyun says. "What would that make me?"

Beomgyu laughs, and he finds his spirit relaxing—which always occurs around this intellectual and caring boy. "Thank you for visiting after the shop completed its renovations."

"I heard about what happened," Taehyun says, stepping closer. A ray of light flashes across his nose and left eye, and Beomgyu thinks that he might just lose it here and now. "Are you okay?"

Beomgyu has known Taehyun for over two years now. Maybe he's not the old loyal customer like Huening Kai is, but he's always grabbed Beomgyu's attention. Taehyun's usual order is a potion for wizardry. It's not exactly as powerful as it sounds, but it does wonders when Taehyun wants to impress someone with magic tricks.

"I'm okay," Beomgyu says, deciding to leave it at that. He doesn't need Taehyun to know about all of his heartbreak. The never ending pattern that has left him a bitter shopkeeper. He wants just to return to normal, playing the role of a good brewer. "Here for your usual today?"

"I think I'll try something different," Taehyun says.

There's a mysterious lilt to Taehyun's tone, and Beomgyu can't miss it. "What do you mean? Taking up a new hobby besides magic?"

"Kind of," Taehyun says. "Just give me your best potion."

Beomgyu heads back to his stock, looking over all of his options. But he's not actually looking. There are tons of ones that Taehyun would probably enjoy, having an affinity for magic. Beomgyu could surprise him with a funny elixir, one that makes the pitch of your voice twice as high.

But he looks over his shoulder to the freshly made love potion.

He grabs it without thinking, the heat transferring through the glass and into his palm. He heads back outside, a nervous sweat taking control of him.

"Here," he says to Taehyun, passing him the vial. "It's a surprise. But I'm sure you'll like it when you take it."

And you'll like me too. We'll be in love.

Taehyun holds the potion, appearing to marvel at the sheen. He opens the cork, holding it up to his lips.

Beomgyu can feel the moment stretching out like an ocean before him. This is the moment he was waiting for, when he'll finally be in love. He's been hopeless for far too long, and today is the change—this will mark his before and after. From now on, he won't be so lonely behind the counter.

Taehyun's pause turns into a full stop. Then, he opens his palm.

The love potion drops to the floor. The glass shatters, the color painting the newly renovated floors. Some of it coats Beomgyu's new Converse shoes.

Beomgyu expects himself to scream. Instead, silence takes him over. All of his work, all of his dreaming, turning into nothing but a pile of liquid on the floor. He should've known this would happen, with all of the rejection that has filled his life lately.

"I wanted you to know that you don't need a love potion to have me," Taehyun says.

Beomgyu looks up. Taehyun is already stepping over the glass.

When their lips meet, Beomgyu thinks that he's the one who swallowed the potion. The kiss is slow and sweet, but also over much too quickly. Beomgyu's voice gets stuck in his throat, and he is tempted to run back into his brewery to retrieve a potion for countering fainting spells.

"How did you know?" Beomgyu says.

"That you were making a love potion?" Taehyun says, grinning. "It's pretty obvious, by the way you're always stressing behind that cauldron. I wanted to tell you that you shouldn't be messing with that kind of stuff. It could get you in trouble. You're totally capable of making someone fall in love with you, the same you did with me."

"How did you know that I liked you?" Beomgyu says. "Surely I didn't give that away too."

"I just had a feeling," Taehyun says. He pulls at his jeans, as if suddenly aware of the huge move he just made.

"Well I like you," Beomgyu says. "I'm sorry that I almost tricked you into taking a love potion."

"Promise me you'll never make that potion again," Taehyun says, "and I'll go on a date with you. Anywhere you want."

Beomgyu appraises his potion shop. Come to think of it, he's never taken an off day. Sure, there were days when he was sick, but he would always come into the shop anyway. He'd brew something for a customer even when he felt like crap.

Today might be the first time he'll leave the potion shop empty. He grabs his jacket off the chair behind the counter, retrieving the keys he'll need to lock up the shop. He dusts off a "Will be back soon" sign, even though he's sure that he'll be out with Taehyun for the whole day. He considers going back inside for a good luck potion, but he decides he doesn't need it. All of the luck has already fallen on his shoulders today.

He smiles, looking down at the mess of the love potion on the floor.

He'll clean that up later. Right now, he has a date with one of his favorite customers.