CHAPTER NINE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
HIDAAYA
~~~~~~~~~~~~

After waiting and pretending I wasn't waiting for days, he managed to call when my mouth was filled with puff-puff. I'd hurriedly chewed and washed them down with the tea I was drinking rather gracefully. And I hadn't even been sure it was him.

What was wrong with me?

I had no idea. But I'd managed to keep my voice leveled because even I recognized the little eagerness in my body.

However, there was no conversation really between us that day. It was just greetings and greetings and number saving and all that. And when he hanged up, I felt like there was more we could have said or I could have said. But he'd hanged up already. I've been reprimanding myself for thinking about that moment since that moment happened. I never thought myself stubborn.

Now, I sat in my seat in a staff room of seven teachers, going through students' test scripts. It was Friday and almost closing time already. The students were scattered about, I could see some from my window. The teacher on duty today must have decided to cut them some slack considering the amount of noise coming from the classes.

'So Miss Hidaaya, would it be possible this year for you to be the assistant Club master? We could use your ideas at the Press club.'

Mr Kabir has been trying to get me to join his club as assistant club master, siting that I was better fit for Press club than Arts and Creativity Club. But I preferred the colorful disposition of the  club and the easy going personality of the club master, Mrs Hadiza. An elderly woman who was smart, funny and could smile for Africa. One would never guess she was the sister of the school Proprietor. She was also the V.P Admin of the school and one of the most loved staff. I couldn't give up the snack time and motherly presence of Mrs Hadiza for the Press club, no.

'I have no ideas for Press Club Mr Maths and I'm good where I am, thanks.' I said as I started to arrange papers I was taking home in my office folder.

'As in what would it take to convince you?'

'Nothing oo. No X and Y equation can convince me, sir.'

'What about a 'finding the subject formula' equation?'

'Is it by force?' a fellow teacher said from her seat.

'Nope.'

'Should I go to Physics? Which one of Newton's Laws can I use?'

'I'm not even good at those.' I laughed at the poker face he made.

'Mr Kabir, I'm fine where I am really. That Press club is for you. I choose coffee.' I said, referring to the few times we get to have snacks and coffee at Club meetings.

'Fine. I'll find someone else to convince.' His eyes fell on Christina, and he rolled his chair to her side.  He must be in a good mood today. I shook my head and continued my arranging. Since it was a Friday, every had to go to the drawers attached to my table. My pen case, textbooks, record sheets, highlighters, markers. I arranged all of them, fitting them against each other in a way that made me exhale in satisfaction and smile. I love order.

The watch on my hand read 11:55, five minutes to closing bells. Time to run.

'Okay, everyone. Have a nice weekend, see you Monday.' I said, picking up my hand bag, folder and car keys.

Christina and another young teacher, Aisha stood up too.

'I think I'll go with you. Could you drop me at the junction, please?' Christina said.