xix. and then there was one

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

Uhtred had cornered her alone to speak urgently, she worried it had something to do with Sihtric's odd mood. She cradled her son softly as her daughter slept, his favoritism for Sihtric knew no bounds, he already would not sleep without Sihtric holding him.

"What I speak, it cannot leave this room, no one else is to know. No one." She nodded though she was confused. Uhtred hesitated briefly before leaning down to whisper into her ear, he spoke of the plan and she frowned.

"So he must leave? He hasn't even had the chance to properly bond with his children." She snarled quietly hoping to avoid stressing out the babies.

"I know, I am deeply sorry. But this is the only way, I have to rid us of Skade." She fought back the urge to ask if he would do the same with Aethelflæd.

"Will Finan know?"

"No, and he must not find out." She hated lies and she would have preferred not to know. She's lost one lover to his lust, another to death, and now Sihtric must play traitor. She worried that Finan would be angry if she didn't tell him. "He will not blame you." Uhtred said softly and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"You are right, he should blame you." She snapped and gently laid Tormund down to settle into sleep with his sister.

"How's Osferth?" Uhtred asked later that day, he glanced at her but she refused to look at him. Finan had Torunn cradled in his strong arms as Sihtric held Tormund.

"Sleeping, as we should all be." Finan spoke looking between the two men and smiled down at the baby.

"Just as soon as he's recovered, we should attempt to recover Skade." Uhtred ordered.

"Once again." Sihtric mumbled.

"So long as she is free, lord, you are cursed." Finan quickly spoke and shot the Dane a warning look.

"Skade is with the Danes. We cannot reach her. We will not chase her to our deaths." Uhtred spoke as he sat down, he ran a finger down Tormund's nose playfully and smiled when the boy slapped at him.

"Death will find us regardless."

"Do you have something to say, Sihtric?" Uhtred asked.

"He does not." Finan interrupted sensing the growing tension, she felt guiltier by the minute.

"Except that, enough of us have died already." Sihtric said as he looked down at his son lovingly.

"You are a warrior, death is a hazard."

"I have decided to go to Ragnar. I must help him find peace." Luna nodded at the man, she knew he must grieve properly.

"All you will find at Ragnar's graveside is ghosts." Sihtric spoke making everyone go silent.

"You will keep watch of Aethelflæd and you will rest." Uhtred ordered and she scoffed at that.

"She has men. Why do mine have to be her slaves?" Luna snapped growing more irritated at the moment.

"No man who served Uhtred can rest, not until Skade is reclaimed." Sihtric called out and Finan quickly spoke.

"Sihtric, you are drunk and tired."

"Yes, I am tired," He turns to Uhtred. "Of marching north and then south, being called a traitor, of not being there for the birth of my children. For what?" Sihtric snapped in anger and gently shushed his son as he handed the baby to her.

"Then leave, boy."

"Uhtred, you don't mean that." Finan said as he looked between the two men, Luna wasn't sure how much of this was fake or real.

"If you are unhappy in my service, leave!" Sihtric stands and crowds Uhtred's space.

"I have fought for you!" Sihtric claimed with aggression and Tormund reached out a little hand to attempt to settle his father's anger. She watched as Sihtric fought against his paternal instincts and it hurt her to know Uhtred had once again made something beautiful turn dark.

"You fight because you enjoy it." Uhtred replies and Finan moves to the quarreling men, he rocks his daughter softly as he grows more panicked.

"You'd dismiss me as easy as this?" Sihtric asked hurt.

"Stay or go, I do not care."

"He does not mean that. He does care. Now, let us all sit." Finan says frantically.

"If you wish to make the square, Uhtred of Bebbanburg, let us do it." Sihtric says.

"Sihtric, no. Please, think of the twins." She said terrified that she would lose Sihtric if he pushed Uhtred enough, Sihtric and Uhtred both faltered under her pleas and she knew that had it not been for Skade, they would have ended the charade.

"No, there'll be no squares made. No fighting, just sleep. Sleep! Jesus!" Finan looks at them both with disappointment. "Get the prisoners back with the pigs, bound." Finan orders.

"Sihtric! I will leave first light but I will return and if you are here still, then I will kill you." Uhtred threatened and Finan looked at her terrified, she leaned against her husband hoping to show him some resemblance of comfort.

"Why?" Finan asked as Sihtric slapped a cup off the table. Tormund cries softly and Sihtric flinches in guilt.

"He has cursed us all!" He shouts in Finan's face as the Irishman sits down shaking his head. Sihtric moves to grab his son but decides against it and Luna almost cries at the broken expression, she knows he no longer feels worthy of being their father. He's no doubt comparing himself to his own.

"She has cursed us all and Uhtred allows it." Dagfinn speaks.

"Shut your mouth." Finan ordered, and she glared at Dagfinn.

"Abandon him, boy. It's your only chance. You're a dane first and last." Finan motions for a guard to shut the Dane up. Sihtric leaves shortly as the prisoners are taken back to their cages, and Finan looks at her sadly.

"Skade has ruined everything." Finan mumbled as he watched her attempts to get Tormund to stop crying. Torunn luckily had slept through it all, completely warm and safe in Finan's arms.