Chapter XXIX - FORGIVENESS | ESCAPE

"So."

"How about we...introduce ourselves..?" you said, nervously, the whirring noise of the elevator filling the small room.

Zack was glaring at Rachel, who just had an empty stare. Good grief...

You nudged the girl's shoulder as if to tell her to talk. "I'm Rachel. Rachel Gardner," was all she said. You looked at Zack, with a look he could absolutely read. "Fine..." he grumbled, as he looked at the significantly shorter blonde.

"Just call me Zack," he said. "Knock off the glare," you whispered. Zack sighed, stepping back. "So, how old are you, kid?" he asked.

"I'm thirteen," she replied. "Speaking of which, N/N, how old are you?" Zack said. "I'm nineteen," you replied.

Well great, we're all getting to know each other.

"Hopefully we do find our way out soon," you muttered. The familiar ringing of the elevator sounded through, as you sighed, your hands in your pockets, as you walked out, the two following behind.

You walked through the same hallway, opening a door that led to the mosaic-like room, from which you had exited previously around a day ago.

Speaking of which, how much time had it been since you had entered this building? How were you not dead? You could've sworn it felt like weeks since you were in B6. Was this building cursed or something?

You felt you needed to talk to Rachel about what had occurred, so you stopped walking. "Hey, Rachel," you began. "Why did you try and kill us in B1? I know it's your duty as a floor master, but, was there another reason?"

Rachel looked at you, before talking. "I didn't want someone else to hate me. I was looking for someone who'd forgive me and my actions, but, I thought you and..Zack would kill me."

"Didn't you want to die, though?" Zack asked. "I did, but...not anymore," Rachel said. "I can tell you this alone, Rachel," you started. 

"I don't condone your actions, but I forgive them. There's a difference, okay? I forgive you, but I don't condone your actions. So long you don't try and kill me and sew me up, or anyone else, for that matter, we'll be fine, okay?" you finished.

Rachel smiled...kind of. Zack face-palmed, seeing the failed attempt of the blonde to smile. "...Thank you," she said, quietly, before her dull expression returned.

"What're you, like, dead inside or something?" Zack interrupted. "Zack!" you said. "Let's just go, okay? We've just a little bit left in order to leave this hellhole, so let's get going."

Zack grumbled incoherent statements as you walked forward. At least he's cooperating.

"I came here walking down stairs."

Stairs...? Where could stairs be in here?

You thought of the glass panels and immediately ran toward the mosaic-like walls. "Huh?" Zack muttered.

"You two- try and knock gently on the glass to see if it's hollow!" you said, reaching for the glass. Zack sighed, gritting his teeth, as he did so.

Rachel nodded without saying a word, doing so. Not long after, Zack found a hollow area. "This work, N/N?" he said.

You knocked in it, hearing the hollow emptiness of the room beyond it. Your eyes widened, a smile forming. "It's here!" you said.

"Then..." you muttered. "...step back," Zack finished. You nodded, walking backward, and Rachel looked at the two of you.

Zack took a firm grip on his scythe, as he slashed through the glass, the small pieces flurrying by, a smirk on his face.