Prologue

The gift of flight is something that should've never been taken for granted. Its history is dotted with both success and failure, as any history would be. The peak of flight came in the early 2020s with the creation of the very first AI-piloted fighter. It was almost something from a video game, seeing a fighter move like it did. But like with all technologies, it had its flaws. UCAV's were starting to become more and more advanced, especially with the introduction of newer 5th+ and 6th generation jet fighters. By the late 2030s, the world's air forces were almost completely made up of UCAV fighters with one or two squadrons of human pilots. Even then, those were resigned to just logistics air wings. When a solar flare hit the earth in 2041, the bulk of the world's military was completely out of an air force, as fighter pilots had to be retrained and deployed en masse. By the time the satellites had either been repaired or deorbited, the world's governments had concluded that their fighter squadrons were going to have to be reinforced at a much high rate. Thus, they created a program to teach young adults how to fight and fly fighter jets in what was called "The Program." As time went by, it went by a much more common and well-known name; Aces High.