Friends Forever

I grabbed my gym bag and my school bag heading towards the door, "Bye mom!" I called out. My mother didn't answer letting me know she was already at work at the pack hospital. I quickly locked the door behind me and began the mile walk to school. I preferred to walk, it was a part of my training. I was the number 1 point guard in the country, everything I did was a part of training. My goal was to get a scholarship somewhere far enough that no one would know anything about me being the adopted human daughter of the pack doctor and the pack beta. I made it about four blocks before I heard the car, I didn't have to turn around to know who it was. The sounds of Ryan Bingham coming from the Escalade that pulled up beside me, let me know that Alpha Cyrus' son Orion was behind the darkly tinted windows. Without a word I crossed over to the passenger side, he was already out of the car and taking my bags, before I could open the door, tossing them in the back seat he closed the door, made sure I was buckled in and went around to get in on his side.

Orion was two years older than me, tomorrow was his 18th birthday, there would be a huge party to celebrate, and the whole pack was hoping he would find his mate. The whole pack but me. He was my best friend, we had grown up together, during our teens we drifted apart as he ran with an older crowd, but he was at every single one of my basketball games with his friends, cheering me on. Every so often, he would come across me walking to school and would insist I get in. I tried to explain to him on multiple occasions that I wanted to walk, but he wouldn't hear of it, and after a while I gave up fighting it.

"All set for tonight, Little One?' He asked referring to our Regional championship game, calling me by the name he gave me, when everyone my age became bigger and stronger when they found their wolf. Since I didn't have a wolf, I was the smallest person in our age group, I was still faster than most humans and stronger too. I had trained with everyone else, until they found their wolves, then the Alpha and my dad decided I couldn't train with them anymore. Although I understood why, I was still heartbroken when I found out, the training had made me a force on the court, so I would train on my own to keep in shape I nodded, "The team has never played better, are you ready for tonight?" I asked him.  He seemed pensive, for a second I thought he hadn't heard me, then he answered, "I'm excited to find my mate, but I know once I do everything will change."

I nodded, knowing that after tonight there would be no more car rides, he wouldn't sneak me out of the house to go down by the lake with everyone else, or call me late at night to talk until we fell asleep. We knew each other's secrets, he never changed up on me when he got his wolf, or when he graduated. Yes, he ran with a different court, but even though we didn't see each other as much, he was always there, and it was all about to change.

"Hey there, no sad faces, whomever my mate is, she'll have to understand that you are my best friend, my little sister." He told me as we neared the school. He pulled up right to the front, "Alright now, don't chase the boys, let the boys chase you," he told me as I exited his car. I rolled my eyes at his parting words, he's been saying the same thing to me ever since I could remember.

"Lyric! Wait up?" I heard someone called out, I turned to see Morgan, my best female friend run up to me. Morgan was tall, and slim, you can see how toned she was, her blond hair blowing in the soft breeze. Morgan was the Gamma's daughter, the whole pack just knew that her and Orion would be mates, unfortunately, Morgan was in love with Paul, the son of one of the warriors, but as we wouldn't be 18 for another two years, she had no way of knowing if they were mates. This was the only reason that they have not gone all the way, but you couldn't tell the way those two were constantly all over each other.

"Hey Morgan, what's up?" I asked her.
"Headed to the gym?" She asked falling in step beside me.
"Ha! Where else would I go?" I told her.
"I wish we were allowed to play." She pouted. Our headmaster was a pack elder, and had forbade any wolves from participating in sports that contact could occur. our basketball team was made of entirely humans, many who wondered why the more athletic students would not try out. they were oblivious to the existence of wolves, vampires, and many other creatures that existed in our world. They knew that Orion was important, but didn't really understand why. They knew that Morgan and I were treated different, but they probably thought it's as because of my athleticism and that our parents were loaded.
"Well, if you guys were allowed to play, the rest of us wouldn't stand a chance." I told her honestly.