Chapter 1 - Leave Me Alone

The full moon shone its soft beam of white light onto the never resting city of Station Square. Its sleeping spell ineffective upon the Mobians. Invisible to the eye, stars twinkled happily in the dark sky, dancing alongside the moon. They sparkled and sang as it reached the beginning of midnight. Always so pretty and bright, but under the strength of the city light, they were nothing. A chilling wind whistled through the city. A chilling wind of autumn. It swam through the buildings, unable to draw the attention it craved as it broke apart against the buildings.

Cars beeped and honked, their lights a mix of red and white. Few people wandered the streets on foot at night, most opted for the safety of their cars as opposed to meeting the loopy and looney of the night. Small apartments had its mini homes constantly flick on and off with life. Some sleeping, other waking.

It was similar to a game of whac-a-mole.

Which one would pop up or disappear next?

It was a surprise.

Businesses worked its employees dry, sucking out their life as they worked tirelessly through the regular time of idle sleep. Their hands clicking away at keyboards.

Laying atop the roof of the tallest building of all of Station Square, you stared up at the night sky, entranced by the moon's lullaby. You comfortably rested by the edge of the roof, letting your tail hang off the edge, feeling it sway in the wind. The bags that sagged under your eyes felt heavy, restless nights present in its black shade. Your eyes felt tight and dry, slowly sowing themselves closed in needed slumber.

"Tired are we?" Eyes snapping open, your nose releases cool air as you remain gazing at the starless night. Your hands rested on your stomach, feeling it rise and fall. "Get your lazy butt up, you probably have something to do somewhere." Glancing to the side, you met the yellow and red eye of a certain masked jackal. He floated on his back, arms behind his head as he too watched the sky. His tail waved smoothly as a floated like in a pool of invisible water. His long white tufts of fur extended from his head, his metal mask covering his facial features.

But you needed nothing more than is annoying voice to know who he was...

Infinite.

Ignoring his words, you flatten your ears as you continue to star gaze the starless sky.

"You're no fun," he huffed, crossing his arms. Rolling your eyes, you began to silently drift off. You hadn't had a full nights rest in days, your exhausted body proof of that. It felt easy to fall under the influence of sleep.

Every few moments felt like it was it. You would finally sleep. Finally rest.

Peeking your eyes ajar ever so slightly to give one final glance up at the moon, a red spark fluttered passed your eyes. Blinking your eyes open, you followed the movement of the fleck. It red glow fading into a pale orange before dissipating. Sitting up, you leaned back onto your arms. Your ears flattened as you stared where the spark has vanished.

Slowly, a warm orange glow burned around you, revealing your shadow. Eyes widening, you fearfully face the cause of the glow. Ears dropping, you watch the forest around the city burn, flames licking the city as it caresses it with its corrupting touch. You can hear the flames crackle and snap. You gulp tensely, your eyes reflecting the orange flames.

Flames burned your city alive, eating away at it. It left nothing in its wake, gobbling it up like its Christmas dinner. Your ears are crestfallen, knees collapsed onto the dirt as you stare fearfully into the deadly orange. The edges of your fur was scorched black, the flames having tasted you. Tears streamed down your face as you loudly cried. You let out screams and whimpers.

You couldn't do anything.

You let them burn.

You let everyone down.

From above, a masked jackal watched you weep, a hidden smirk on his face. Without a word he rushed through the sky onto his next victim. Your heart lurched out of your chest in sorrow. You held your face in your hands as you cried, letting the heat of the flames weigh on your guilt with its unbearable heat.

Breathing in a calm breath, you let your ears perk up as you blankly stare at the flames. With no emotion, you place a gloved hand over your eyes.

This was an illusion.

All fake.

You knew it the second you couldn't smell the suffocating scent of smoke.

Steadily, you lifted your hand from your eyes. The fire had disappeared, leaving without a trace. No tree was touched, no building has burned.

"You've grown to quick for my ticks," Infinite notes, tapping his chin, "It used to be so much fun watching you run around in a panic and everyone thinking you were crazy." He chuckled at the memories, placing himself on the cement roof. His tail swirling in circles as he watched your deadly gaze land on him.

"Leave me alone," you growl, eyes sharper than knifes.

For eight years he had been bothering you. His existence trapped inside you ever since you saved the world.

You almost regretted doing so, but how could you truly, you never felt so true to yourself before that moment.

"Oh, and she speaks" he floats by your side "I could leave you alone if u set me free~"

Rolling your eyes at the jackals antics, you stood up on the edge of the building and let the wind carry your fur. Your eyes gazed over the lively city. Calmly, you closed your eyes. Your ears listened to the wind as it brought the sound of the city up to your high altitude. You smelt the fresh air of the surrounding forest, tasting the pine of the forest. As you tiredly reopened your eyes, he was gone.

Disappearing from your vision and mind temporarily, but what felt like a joyous eternity.

Sitting back down onto the coo cement roof, you swing your legs over the side of the building. Letting your legs sway back and forth, you lean onto your hand that rested on your knee. Eyes heavy, they slowly close, the moon acting as your protector as you drowsed into an eventual slumber.

All your tension.

All your irritation.

All your fatigue.

Vanished.

Washed away by the sweetness of sleep.