SFW; Evelyn during the Red War 2

Evelyn sits on a log in the Farm in the EDZ at night, dressing a wound on her right leg and her simulated breathing shaky. The leg itself was braced in a cast of plasteel and salvaged Cabal armor. Nolan floated over to her from the Eververse tent. She extracted a slug from a Cabal Sniper from her leg, grunting quietly as her breath quivered.

Nolan; "... You really shouldn't be going out into the field. Especially with that leg."

Eve replied, her voice cracking like pavement at first.

Eve; "I'm fine! ... I'm ok.. it's just a leg."

She removed the next slug with more force, making her shout in pain and wincing her face upwards. She dropped her tool and held onto her thigh, on the verge of hyperventilating, only quieting down when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

She looked up to see the gentle smile of a Human donned in a poncho, a hawk sitting on a flag pole nearby her. Evelyn cleared her throat (or a facsimile thereof) before speaking, trying to hide the quiver in her tone.

Eve; "H-hey Hawthorne... How's your evening?"

Hawthorne went to sit beside Evelyn, her hawk Louis gliding down and perching on a branch.

Hawthorne; "Not as bad as yours... Everything alright?"

Eve; "Yeah... Yeah, I'll live... Just not as nimble as I used to be."

Eve gingerly removed a final slug with a grunt, starting to leak dark Alkahest on the grass. She frowns and snaps her fingers... Then again, before her eyes rolled.

Eve; "Talk about not knowing what you have until it's gone... Nolan, please pass me the plasma torch."

Nolan nudged the tool closer with his shell and she quickly cauterized the wound.

Hawthorne; "I didn't know the Light could be used for so many things... I'd only ever seen a Guardian use it to wreck tanks and blow up whole armies... Never to move quick or healing."

Eve; "Yeah... It had quite a bit of utility... Now the damned Cabal are gonna do who knows what with it."

She reached behind herself and fetched an Eliksni helmet, using the plasma torch to cut out a shape, made to fit a hole in her brace.

Hawthorne; "Whatever they're gonna do, Chief, we're not gonna let it happen."

Evelyn looked up and straight ahead at the mention of the word "Chief". She dropped the torch and blinked rapidly, beginning to hyperventilate again.

Hawthorne; "... Eve? You ok?"

Eve mumbled something in reply, but it was incoherent, and she moved her hands to her lap.

Hawthorne; "What?"

Eve gave a response again, her voice a higher pitch than normal, as if on the verge of tears.

Eve; "... No..."

She fell to her side, Hawthorne catching her in an awkward embrace, Eves' shaky breathing returning once more.

Hawthorne; "It... It'll be ok, Guardian. You'll be fine."

Eve; "He's gone... He's gone..."

Those were the only words Eve muttered as Hawthorne held the Exo for the next few minutes. She eventually found the courage to properly embrace her, and Eve mumbled again, almost incoherent.

Eve; "I'm sorry..."