Nine

Disha sat down on the bench outside the ICU. This doesn't feel right being on this side of the door. She called Christopher. And Disha knows that he won't be happy knowing the condition of his brother. But why did he take those many pills on purpose? Couldn't he see it would have harmed him? He is a doctor for god's sake. Can't he see that it is plainly wrong?

Disha called Christopher and her hands shook. But she had to call and inform him. Christopher picked after a few rings. "Disha, I was about to call you to talk. I cannot get Val on the phone. He was supposed to pick something up for the medical camp." Disha didn't say a word for a minute or two. Then she mustered up her courage and said softly "Chris, it's Val. He had overdosed on pain medication. The doctors... they... they don't know what was going to happen to him."

Christopher was shocked hearing that. He was hoping that his brother doesn't do anything foolish like this. "Disha, don't worry. I am coming alright, get him transferred to Woodland and if they refuse, then tell them it is the brother who is signing the consent form. Better yet, I will talk to them. Alright, don't worry. He will be alright. He always tries to fool us this way." Christopher assured her. Disha cut the call and decided to follow Christopher's instructions for now. She didn't want to go against his wishes.

It had been a week since he was in the hospital. Christopher had stopped his trip and came back. Pia was also worried about Valentino. But she was more concerned about Disha. She knew he must be blaming herself for Valentino's condition. 

That was something Pia was concerned about. "Hey, I brought you some coffee, are you sure you do not want to go home?" Pia asked Disha. "No, I am fine here. I want for him to wake up, when he does, we will go home together." Disha said holding the coffee in her hand.

Pia walked towards Christopher who was very distressed. "How is she doing?" He asked Pia. "Not good, she is blaming herself and still refused to go home. I don't know what to do with her." She told Christopher. "I am worried about Disha; she is not taking it well. She had grown thin and frail. It is like some guilt had been eating her up from inside." Christopher hugged Pia.

 "I know little pixie; I can see it. I am worried about both of them. And it doesn't help that my mother is constantly trying to evict her from Valentino's room." Christopher saw Disha lurking around his cabin trying to get a glimpse of him.

"Can you not talk to your mother about it? Disha needs to be in there with Val, otherwise, the next patient we would be putting in ICU would be her. I don't want it to happen. I cannot see her going down this way." Pia was in distress and that was the last thing that he wanted to see.

 "It is alright Pia, I will talk to my mom, and hope that she doesn't make a big deal out of this. You know how she is, and how she always tries to blame others for her mistake." Pia nodded and Christopher kissed her forehead.

"Do not stress yourself, or you will stress the baby. Ok, little pixie? Leave everything over me. I will sort it out." Christopher assured her. Both of them looked at Disha who was still watching Valentino from the little window by the door of his cabin. He was sleeping away peacefully.

 "You are making up for all those sleepless nights aren't you, Val? I am sorry that I tired you out that much. I didn't mean to do it. Forgive me? Will you not open your eyes, I promise I will never complain about food ever again. I promise you." She whispered.

"You again? As if pushing my son into a coma wasn't enough. You are here to make sure the job is done properly. Want to finish what you have started don't you?" Christopher's mother asks. "I wish my sons never met you bunch, one is already destroyed Christopher's life and now you are trying to do the same with Valentino. I will not allow it. You will not ruin my son's life this way."