Chapter 16

[Chapters 16 to 17 are already posted!]

.

.

.

Rindou and Y/n sat across each other, the male helping her recall whatever happened last night that could've led her to her position now. 

"You're a detective, so it's no surprise someone would try to target you," Rindou shrugged. 

"I'm only a detective trainee, I don't handle that many major cases for people to try and do something about me," She said with furrowed brows. "Well, except for the L/n case... but," 

"But, what?" Rindou tilted his head with a quirked brow.

"No one knows that Sir Naoto and I are investigating it further," Y/n confessed. "None of the higher-ups are aware... so we're kinda doing something illegal here," 

She stood from her seat. "Do you think they know?" She asked anxiously. "Am I going to be fired-?! But I'm only a trainee... oh that's worse, a trainee getting fired, that's not a good look for my record.." 

"Wait," Rindou stared at her. "No one knows? Like, this case wasn't supposed to be investigated?" 

"Well, yeah," She answered. "L/n Y/n was killed by her mother, and there were witnesses and much evidence so the case was straight to the point and was easily closed." She paused. "The time the case was closed was the time I was placed into Sir Naoto's post as a detective trainee," 

She continued. "I worked directly under him, so I go frequently to his office, and then I saw those files about L/n Y/n. He saw me reading through them and I think he got scared that I'll report him for keeping files and evidence without permission," Y/n sat back down. "And... uh, due to me knowing, I swore I wouldn't report him and that I would even help him,"

Rindou noticed a hint of hesitation, and he can tell she lied about her reasoning for helping Naoto out. He took a deep breath. "You're lying," He said bluntly, hoping she'll easily crack and tell the truth.

He had long accepted that the Y/n in front of him is not the Y/n he knew before, but now he's suspecting that she was the other girl in the photos that Mochi showed him and the others. 

The girl frowned. "What? I said the truth, you think I'm going to lay out all these confidential things for funsies? I could be fired for this-"

"No," He stopped her. "Not about that, I meant, you're lying about your reason for helping Naoto."

Y/n held no expression. "How would you know if I'm lying?" 

He sighed. "And how would you know If I can tell whether you are or not?"

"Touché," She crossed her arms. "Okay, so what if I'm lying, then what would my real reason be for helping him out?"

Rindou contemplated, but he was desperate. He can tell that Sakkaku Y/n is part of the answer he and the other members of Bonten are working to unveil. 

The whole involvement of Bonten with the L/n family previously was and will remain to be because of the L/n's blood connection with Mikaboshi which is controlled by L/n Y/n's grandfather. 

And the whole reason why Bonten got close with L/n Y/n was purely by coincidence after she had witnessed something she shouldn't have and the fact that she had evidence of it made her a great threat to Bonten. 

Everything about L/n Y/n was a coincidence, nothing about their interactions with her was part of the plan, and yet the further they knew her, it showed just how much she was connected with them like fate had woven their threads together.