birth of the shadows

I sat outside, staring out at the sunset. It had been days since the incident and I was numb. They were gone. They were really gone.

My family.

I had hoped, and I had prayed to the saints, that it wasn't real and that it was all a dream.

I was still hoping that.

"Been out here for a while," stated Talon, sitting next to me on the grass.

I didn't respond.

"I cannot imagine what you are going through, Sorin," he continued. "I am so sorry this has happened."

I inhaled and exhaled deeply, nodding at his response. I had nothing to say. What was there to say? They were gone. Just...turned into specs. I didn't know how to feel. Did I blame Faeda for what happened? I know she wasn't the one in control. Did she deserve the blame? Did she deserve my anger?

"I'm here for you," said Talon, placing a hand on my shoulder. "I'll leave you to it," he said rising to his feet and walking away.

Closing my eyes, my mind went blank as I concentrated on the breeze and the warmth the sun was giving me.

"I miss you," I whispered brokenly into the wind. "So much."

***

I sat up abruptly, my hair falling loose from its bun. "Faeda." Panic surged through me as I scanned the surroundings. "Faeda," I called out desperately, the word echoing into the empty air. No, no, no, no, no. Please. "Faeda."

She was gone. I had let her be taken.

"Do not blame yourself," Koa's voice broke through the turmoil as he assisted Arlo to his feet. "We couldn't have anticipated that."

Anger was rising up. "Malik," I angrily called out. He appeared before me. "Where did he take her?"

"I will lead you."

"Who is he?"

"He's the Elder."

"That is not what I mean, and you know it. He recognized Faeda. How?"

Malik's face grew dark. "Alkimos is what is called a reaper and can realmwalk. He has practiced the forbidden arts from a young age, and as he got older, things began to change for him. Later, I found out he was going to realms and somehow using creatures to attack kingdoms and wipe out elves for someone known as Sheol."

"So, he is the reason...?"

"Yes. I presume he is the cause of Faeda's mothers' death, as other elves."

"I thought the cursed child was the cause of it?"

"That is what they wanted realms to think. He needed realms to hate elves."

"By killing other elves?" I asked in confusion.

Malik sighed. "All I know is that elves seem to be the key to something."

The prophecy. It must be. "Take me to him," I stated.

"Wait. Sorin," spoke Koa. "We need a plan."

"I have a plan. Save Faeda. Kill Alkimos." I looked at Malik. "Take us. Now."

He nodded, turning and walking in a direction.

I looked at Koa and Arlo. "You can come with or stay here. Up to you. But, I'm going." And with that, I followed Malik.