Forty-Eight: Feel Better

"We need to tell the others," Kira said quietly.

It was the next morning. She was laying in bed with Jack. Neither of them had gotten much sleep. Kira seemed to wake up every couple of hours feeling anxious and panicked. Jack always stayed awake until he was sure Kira was asleep again and even then it was hard for him to stay sleeping. He was too worried about her.

He looked over at her with tired eyes. It was clear she'd already been crying today and it hurt him to see that. She'd spent most of the night crying. He moved her curly hair out of her face and then he tenderly brushed his fingers against her cheek.

"We don't have to tell them right away," he whispered. "I don't want it to make you more upset."

"No, we need to do it now. Otherwise, I'll keep putting it off and I'll have a baby bump before we even bother to tell them," Kira said and she smiled a little. Jack smiled too, but it was forced. She sighed and rolled onto her back. "I've cried most of the night. I'd like to think I've gotten it out of my system by now."

As she said that, more tears welled in her eyes. She sighed angrily and wiped them away.

"It's the damn hormones. I'm fine," she insisted, giving Jack a look that made him know he'd better not challenge her. This time his smile was genuine. "We need to handle this."

"Okay," Jack said. 

She reached beside her and grabbed his hand. She lifted their hands so they were both laying on her chest. Jack continued to stare at her and she slowly squeezed his hand tighter. She took a deep breath.

"Or maybe we could have sex first." She looked over at Jack with raised eyebrows. He laughed.

"Baby, you're already putting it off," he said. He shifted so he was on his side and sitting up more.

"I'm being serious," Kira said and she fluttered her eyes at him. "I'm feeling sad and sex will make me feel better."

She even pouted at him. Jack laughed and then rolled onto his stomach. His laughs were muffled by the pillow.

"Don't make that face at me," Jack said into his pillow. Kira moved her hand up and rubbed his back. "It's gonna make me say yes."

"You say that like it's a bad thing," Kira said tauntingly. Jack turned his head just enough to look at her and he made a fake angry face. "Come on, baby. Please!"

She moved closer to Jack and rubbed her hands all over him. Jack laughed and rolled back onto his side again. Kira took that as an opportunity to move closer to him. She hugged his body close to hers and she even hooked one of her legs around his waist. Once she had a firm grip on him, she rolled onto her back again, pulling Jack on top of her. He was still laughing.

"The guys will hear us," Jack said in a very unconvincing tone.

"That is a terrible excuse," Kira said with a roll of her eyes. "You and I are pros at being quiet."

Jack let out a dramatic sigh.

"How about this?" Jack said as if he were proposing a business deal. Kira looked at him attentively. "We tell the guys the news. And as a reward, we can have sex after."

Kira narrowed her eyes at him.

"Why do you have to be so logical?" she muttered.

"One of us has to be," he said and he leaned over and kissed her nose.

"Yes. But it's mildly frightening that it's you."

Jack just smiled and then he kissed her lips. She kissed him back, but Jack got up before she could deepen the kiss.