t w o

Zoe begun her morning with a cup of coffee, not too bitter, but not too sweet either. Lorelei had work, so she was free to do whatever her heart desired on her day off.

She was about to head back to bed for a few hours when her phone buzzed in her sweater pocket. A text from an unknown number.

(201) 348 2938

Hey, it's Buckley from last night

She smiled at her phone, quickly typing back a response.

Buckley <3

hey, how are you ?

I'm good
Did you get home safe?

would i be talking to you if i hadn't ?

Right, stupid question
Was your roommate mad?

she was, but then i told her i met a guy and
she forgot all about it

You're welcome then
Are you free today?

yeah, it's my day off
what's up ?

I thought maybe we could grab a coffee
or something?
Talk a little more?

Zoe snuck a glance at her discarded coffee cup in the kitchen sink and shrugged.

Buckley <3

sure
what time ?

Is 2 good for you?

yeah, that's fine !
see you soon !

She pulled her phone to her chest with a smile, that was before she realised she needed to shower and get dressed out of her chocolate stained sweats.

***

She stood on the sidewalk outside the firehouse tapping her foot against the concrete. She had gotten impatient, and allowed her legs to carry her to her place of work. Lorelei had gone back inside to serve some customers, giving Zoe the task of running to the shop to get them some drinks on her way in.

She was about to turn into the bookstore, drinks in hand, when she heard her name.

"Zoe!" A voice called out from behind her. She spun on her heel, being met with the blonde firefighter from yesterday. Zoe sneaks a glance at Lorelei through the window, deciding to ditch her for the man waving her over.

"Buck? I thought you were off today?" She replies once she's across the road and standing ahead of him.

"I am, i had to grab something from my locker, i was just about to text." He points his thumb behind him at the large red and white building, "There's a Starbucks a few blocks over if you wanna grab that coffee?"

She shrugs, "Sure, i'm just gonna drop these to my roommate if that's okay?"

"Yeah, no, of course." He nods, scratching he back of his head.

Zoe swiftly walks back over the road and listens as the bell rings above the door.

"What took you so long?" Lorelei held her hand out, grasping the bottle firmly between her fingers, "Why are you all red?" She asks suspiciously once she finally looks Zoe in the face.

"Buckley is outside." Zoe looks out the window, and Buckley waves with a smile. Lorelei trails her gaze, gawking at the man standing on the other side of the road.