𝟓𝟐.

Or, epilogue

Sat. 29th March 1986 | 1:27pm
William Byers

Everything has been so amazing.

This past month has consisted of a smooth school semester, occasional male out sessions with Mike in his basement or my bedroom or maybe even other places, and lots of quality time with family and friends and I don't think I've ever been happier.

I turned 15 a week ago and it was just the best. Mom and Dad got a bunch of art supplies, Jonathan bought me a bunch of candy and made me a new mixtape which has to be my favourite now, El got me a new easel since the leg of my old one was snapping — it's made of acacia wood and I'm in love.

The party threw me a surprise party in Mike's basement when he invited me over and I thought he just wanted to hang out when really all the others were also waiting for me. I got so much stuff from anyone and no words can even express my happiness.

Aside from my birthday, I'm also really happy about what happened in court. Mom decided that Mr Wheeler would be serving prison for four years, be evicted from Mike's home and on probation when he's out again. It took lots of assurance but Mike's finally happy and that just adds to my consistent good mood.

"Guys, I gotta go home. My mom's cooking dinner anddd..." Max looks at her watch, "it'll be ready soon."

She looks back up and me and Mike with a smile, giving us hugs and saying goodbyes before leaving Starcourt, leaving us alone here.

"Okay... I guess we gotta figure this out." I shrug, but it won't be that hard since I can already see a store full of tuxedo sets and dresses for prom.

I'm so excited for prom, ugh.

"Let's go in there!" Mike exclaims, pointing out the same store I've had my eye on. I give him a grin before we both make our way to that store. Neither of us are picky so this won't take so long.

Both of us walk in and are immediately approached by a worker, asking if we need any help. The sudden encounter takes me a second to get used to before I relax my eyes and give the male a smile.

"Prom is coming up and we're just looking for something nice to wear. We'll be fine looking on our own."

"Ahh, okay. Just let me know if you need any assistance." The worker asks, exposing his French accent. I smile and nod before looking at Mike and then around the whole store. I didn't think there would be so many options. The only difference between all the tuxedo sets are their variations of colors but I think I'd rather go with a black or so even though I probably have at least two of those in my room, but it's nice to have something new.

My eyes narrow as I look through an aisle, noticing that there are ties neatly laid on wooden shelving. Two specific ones catch my eye. A sunflower yellow one, and a baby blue one. They're simple but they're Mike and I's favorite colors. Plus, they'd look good with a white blouse and black blazer.

"Mike, Mike, Mike—" I hit his shoulder for his attention, and he scowls for a moment, rubbing that area which causes me to giggle.

"That hurt."

"I'm sorryyy— but look! Do you like these ties? We could find black tuxedos to match them with."

"Black? Couldn't we just wear ones from home?"

"Yeahh, but my mom said she wants me to buy a new one." Apparently the ones I have are scuffed or something?? Probably because I'm hopelessly clumsy and always fall down or trip like every second of the day.

"Oh, okay, well how about these?" Mike walks towards a set, pointing at it hung up against the wall. I walk there too, tripping over my feet on the way and almost falling down, but stabilising myself before I hit the ground.

Stupid floor.

But I pretend it didn't happen, despite my boyfriend's obnoxious snort, and rub my thumb and index finger against the hem of the pants, satisfied by the fabric. It's soft and doesn't seem like it'll easily rip.

"Well... okay, then. I'm gonna try one of them on." I smile at Mike before pushing hangers aside until I find my size. I take it off the rack and then walk into the changing room, so white and clean that I feel a sting in my eyes.

I really hope this is the one. I absolutely hate shopping and if it doesn't look good, then I have to continue looking around which sucks.

I put on the tuxedo and adjust it a little before looking in the mirror, unsure of what I think of it.

"Miiike!" I call him, and he opens the curtain. He closes it again and gives me a look that I can't quite decipher. A part of me wants to think he's looking at me in awe because he's my boyfriend, but I'm not a cocky person and I just can't tell.

"Will, you look amazing." The male comments, shifted his gaze from my outfit to my eyes which causes me to blush.

"You sure it's not a little much?" I look in the mirror again, but not for long when he walks towards me and cups my face, forcing me to look back in his eyes.

"William Byers, anything that you wear won't fail to mesmerise me."

Butterflies...

"... Because I'm in love with you and you're that beautiful in my eyes."

I release a breathy exhale, trying my hardest to contain my flushing, which slowly turns into a side smirk when I think of a response. A kinda stupid one, but a response.

"You're corny, you know that?" I smile widely, sliding my hand from his chest towards the side of his porcelain neck. Then I kiss him, short and gentle, but still full of so much passion.

"... I love you too, Michael Wheeler. So much."

End.