7. Hearing, but not really.

I look up once more, seeing the blue sky again. I'm in another dream, huh.

While the first dreams I had here were... foreboding, to say the least, nowadays my dreams seem to be calmer. Just me, grass, and a blue sky.

I found that these dreams are the easiest to practice doing dragon-like activities in, such as trying to learn to fly, or properly speak.

I crawl up a grassy hill and look around for anything new. Sometimes in my dreams I try to look at myself, although I don't see anything when I do, which is a shame.

Maybe it's the kind of thing where I have to see it before in order for it to be seen in my dreams, which probably won't happen.

There always seems to be whispers in the back of my mind whenever I dream here, though. It's hard to pinpoint, but afterwards I usually find it easier to understand the draconic tongue (AKA dragon language).

Last time I was able to tell the difference between tones, so maybe now I can hear some words?

Hmm, nothing new. Alright, I guess it's time to try flying again. Every single time I have these dreams I practice flying since I can see where I'm going.

I take off and glide around, attempting to flap my wings before falling flat onto the ground. Dang. I get up and head back.

I see the sky ahead turning dark; It's about time for me to wake up, it seems. I lay down on the grass, waiting.

-+-+-+-

Cold ground? Check.
Not being able to see? Also check.

Yep, I'm awake again.

I've recently noticed that my demeanor from my previous world has changed somewhat. (I suppose being a dragon would do that to you.) I always feel somewhat bored, as if I need a constant stimulant at all times to feel anything other than boredom.

Somewhat concerning. (then again, when is anything not concerning?)

Oh, I think that's my parents waking up.

One seems to grumble out something, before getting up and waking the other.

"GuHs morning..."

Oh hey, I heard something. But what was the first word? I assume they meant "good morning", but I guess that means my language understanding right now is flawed.

Afterward, they chatted a bit more. They said something about "food" and... "hunting?"

Sounds like something to take my mind off of the extreme boredom I have nowadays.

I try to say something, although all that comes out is a series of warbles and growls. Huh. It's enough to get their attention, however so it's fine.

I crawl over in their general direction. How do I tell them that I want out of this cave?

Hmm...

I'm not sure.

Maybe I'll just follow them around, or something.

After I had finished heading to my parents, I simply laid down on the floor and waited.

My parents started walking out of the cave, so I of course followed.

Back on dirt... and here we go.

My parents began whispering to each other, not that it really meant anything thanks to my hearing.

They mention the fact that I'm following them, and the other reassures them... probably.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-

As I followed my parents home, squirrel in my jaws, I noted how peaceful this forest was; Especially considering that the most danger I found here was a pack of wolves that could barely break through my scales.

Maybe it's just the fact that I'm a dragon. I'm sure it would be more dangerous if I wasn't one.

Well- Wait, what's that sound? I stop and listen. I hear the sound of metal. At least, based on the sounds in video games it sounds similar.

I stop and slowly investigate. I at least keep track of what direction is the way home now, so I should be fine.

As I get closer, I begin to hear... japanese. It would probably be convenient. IF I KNEW HOW TO SPEAK JAPANESE. I do not, so it may as well be a new language.

A shame, a shame. I crawl away. No need to alert the humans now.

Well, that was a rather anticlimactic interaction.

I head back to the cave (for sure this time), whatever interest I had in the humans destroyed by my lack of understanding.

A/N: My chapters are probably now going to vary in size, based on when I find a good spot to end the chapter. I used to worry about reaching 1000 words (spoiler: it didn't work) but thats all I have to say for now.