CHAPTER 11

As soon as I can no longer see the Prince, my attention runs to Tug. I have missed the arranged meeting hour and forgot to mark the pit wall when I left. I hurry through the streets, struggling to form a map in my mind as I do not wish to return to our lodgings via the long route of Tug's boarding house. The air is humid, and the streets tightly interwoven, forcing me to go slowly. When I reach the boarding house, my shaved head prickles with sweat and my heart beats frantically.

I take a moment to steady myself and prepare to face Tug's fury. The key for the room is no longer hidden above the door ledge where Tug left it so I try the handle. The door swings open.

Tug sits in the wooden chair by the window as though caught in time and held there. He does not turn immediately, but when he does his empty expression holds no anger.

"You are back."

"Yes." I close the door, thrown by his attitude. I expected lectures on disobedience and danger. But Tug is not Pa, and he is anything but predictable.

"Good." He rises from the chair, gathering his bag.

"We're leaving? Did you speak with Brin?"

"He says the Sai guard him because he told them we had found the gold and split it. They do not believe his story. They wish to corroborate it by speaking to me before Brin has the chance to get me to cover his lie."

"And so you are going to him now, and will let the Sai think they've found you first?"

He nods.

"I'm ready."

"You will stay here."

"If I come with you, I can hide while you have your meeting, and check things are as Brin says they are."

Tug nods in agreement, which is surprising. I follow him to the bedroom door. He steps through the lintel but stops to rest his hand on the doorframe, blocking my way.

"Don't do that to me again," he says. I flush red and nod. Then I follow him out into the hall.

Outside, the sun heads toward the mountain peaks. Men in ragged clothes bustle past with boxes, a few women carrying heavy loads of washing, and men with horses, carts, and even small trolleys of fruits or goods move through the trodden down mud streets without the assistance of horse or donkey.

It takes twenty minutes to reach the tavern where Brin is lodging. Tug and I duck into an alley.

"Stay put until the meeting is over." I send out my awareness and locate Brin's mind in the boarding house. After so many weeks in his company, it is easy to identify him. A man waits in the hall outside his bedroom. Another one loiters across the street. I stretch my awareness further and sense no other untoward presence.

'There are two guards. One outside his room, the other across the street." Tug's shoulders drop, revealing his relief. He does not entirely trust Brin either, then.

"They may wish to take me for questioning," he says. "To confirm Brin's story. Do not follow."

"Okay."

"Brin must not know you are in the Hybourg." I nod. He looks at me and frowns. "What have you done?" My eyes widen. I don't know what he means. "You look different."

I think of Jakut, the children, and the velaraptor and inwardly smile. Perhaps I will explain what happened to Tug later. Perhaps not. I shrug.

"If I am to leave with the Sai, I will meet you back at the boarding room." I breathe in deeply, but the nerves won't dissipate. The idea of Tug vanishing with Brin and the Sai does not sit well. "You can follow me in the mind-world."