9 | A Truth in the Hovel

​​Sometimes what happens around us has consequences we cannot foresee. We can only do our best with what we have. Learn from our past and make the most of our present. Face the fear head on, not avoid it. Not try to drown it out.

But when my body and my brain both are on overload—I run.

"Veda." The lad repeats my name, squeezing my hand. "Running away is just a temporary solution to a permanent problem."

His voice, as warm as summer, turns the tornado in me into a mere gale. My sense of calm is anchored in him. I feel like I can take on everything. Everyone.

"We cannot afford to wait to find out whether the girl knows about electricity, or her potential origins." Baron Secundus does another loud slurp from his wineglass.

"What are you suggesting?" I hear the Duke's doubtful voice.

"We should prepare our own countermeasures."

"How public of countermeasures are we talking about? That would shatter any attempt at unity between Lighthaven and Fumedge. To wage war against the Emperor, we will need well-equipped soldiers from both cities."

"They need not be public. Send a wire telegraph to Fumedge. Find him."

Find who? They can't be talking ab...

"You better hope he didn't transmit enough knowledge to her to harness it. Get rid of him in any way you can, fast! He must be apprehended."

"Then done. I assure you I will do my personal best, Baron Secundus."

"Your attitude makes me question if your best is up to the task." Malice emanates from the man's every word.

"Oh, we will find him. Don't worry."

"Do whatever it takes, Lucius. Order exhaustive interrogations, freeze commerce for half the district. Turn the Fumedge upside down if you have to. Just arrest him!" The Baron's footsteps shoot towards the door.

Langdon pulls me behind a giant statue of himself, of all people, and we crouch with haste, staring at his father and Baron Secundus leaving the Sanctum. 

I stare down — I'd bitten on my hand so hard that I drew blood.

"They... They want to arrest Pa." My voice is so feeble I hate myself for it.

"Yes." A lone tear shines in the corner of the lad's eye. "So?" He nudges me. 

I jus' stand there, frozen like that statue in front of us, unsure what is it that the Duke's son is expecting of me.

Langdon places his hands on my shoulders. "I may have wits and class, Veda. But I'll never have what you do. Freedom and pure heart. Determination." His gaze is intent, unwavering, as it bores through me.

The pieces of the puzzle rearrange before my mind's eye and a sudden flash of clarity strikes me. "We can't let them take him."

"Damn right we cannot." He nods.

"How can we stop it? If I send Vogel to Pa, to tell him to hide, there might be no time." I pace the hallway, the chittering of my toothless mouth the only sound in the silence.

But what if I could get to him first?

"Race on the rooftops of the Lighthaven. Is there any better way to spend the night?" I wink at Langdon and I am already off, jumping out through the semi-open window.

His cry of protest is lost on me as I become one with the wind.

The poor lad can do nothing but follow, hopping from roof to roof. He is surprisingly swift as he catches up soon and runs right beside me, wheezing, massaging the bruises on his throat.