Rockall - Part 7

When first-bright came, it brought with it a freshening wind, and a swell that gave Qi'tik and her militia pause for thought. If the swell foretold a storm, then it might break up the ranging, which would be a grave thing so close to another group - for both of them. Despite having sent some away, there were still many liners in the Nam'bia, and no doubt there were more still among the other ranging. On their own, she could move the liners away early and re-form the ranging when the storm had passed. With another ranging so close whose intentions were not known, sending the liners away before the other group did was not possible. She would need to negotiate, and use all her skills to ensure the safety of her pod-shoal.

With infinite care, Qi'tik, with the Queen and her consorts, accompanied by a troop of trusted militia, approached the agreed meeting place. They met some way away from the rangings, where the mingling of markers would otherwise cause distress or even excessive danger from the more aggressive members.

When the others appeared, it was as if they materialised suddenly, the turbid water hiding their approach until they were only a few tens of lengths away, their selfs appearing dark and indistinct at first. The formalities of a meeting like this were well rehearsed, and as was custom, the Queen of the Nam'bia met with the Premier of the Eur'opan just as Sol'tar reached her height. Qi'tik in her place as royal-guard for the meeting began her slow circling of the two leaders, far enough away to be unable to hear the quiet to and fro of negotiation (to listen would be uncouth), but still close enough should she be needed. Her opposite circled too, always keeping pace exactly across the circumference of the circle they swam. The self was just a blurred shape; indistinct through the brine between them. Only when they broached the surface to breath could she make out a little more, as they did so always together; one never disadvantaged by the other. Across the turbulent brine upon which the swell and waves continued to grow, Qi'tik glimpsed a dark form, but despite the distance between them she thought she could make out white scars running across the self's head and she was put in mind of Mil'pek.

Eventually, when the Queen and the Premier had finished their meet and departed with their respective guard, Qi'tik met her opposite number. They met alone, as per custom, to share intent; there to later compare with that told to her Queen. In so doing, truthfulness would be tested, and trust built upon. The pair swam alongside in silence for a while, the usual displays made, each moving formally and each perfectly mirroring the other in motion. The first shock: this self was male. It was unheard among the Nam'bia that a male hold such an exalted position within a pod-shoal's hierarchy. Qi'tik waited for her host to speak and considered those markings she had seen from a distance. The similarity to Mil'pek was reinforced, but where Mil'pek's flesh was scarred in a random pattern from some old, unspoken-of mishap, this Self's skin was marked in some other way, deliberately, the patterns geometric and symmetrical; white upon near black. The effect was disturbing to the eye, and yet beautiful to behold. Qi'tik's emotions, so often a sure aid to her intuition, churned between admiration, revulsion and, to her real discomfiture, fear.

The patterned self's speak was melodious and strange, but also alluring. "Welcome to the north, my brethren. We are glad you came. I am named 'Secci'." Qi'tik bowed, and as she did, she studied her host carefully. A feeling that Secci was, despite his outward calm, possessed of a state of extreme emotion settled in her mind. She let the formalities of introduction play out, then drifted, unmoving, presented Secci with an aspect that told of polite inquiry, inviting Secci to continue. Qi'tik had learned that silence was a powerful tool many years before, and she used it now to draw Secci on, letting him speak his piece while she studied his aspect for further signs of nervous excitement. The swell had increased, and it was certain now that a storm would soon be upon them all. She was considering the need to lead the ranging away, returning later when the brine had calmed to find out exactly what the Eur'opan intended.

"You think of leaving." spoke Secci. "I must ask you not to. We have waited long for your arrival, but now you are here, there is very little time left. If you had been another few brights... But let us not speak of loss. Let us speak of life. Tell me what you made of the Calling?"

Qi'tik could remember it well; the many brights of argument it caused. It had not been easy to understand at all. But then, the Calling had consisted of scents and pheromones carried on the slow brine currents over huge distances, mingled along the way with many other signals, and it was keyed to many different species so only fragments of the message were known by the beings of one shoal or pod, and the whole had to be painstakingly constructed by the Nam'bia net over the course of many, many brights.

"It was clear enough," she lied. "'Come north, because something has happened there that is of the utmost importance to the future of life.' The code within the Calling implied that the Nam'bia Entire needed to make the journey, but did not say why." Qi'tik did not share with Secci the three meanings the net had come to while pondering the depths of the calling's intent: opportunity, revelation and trap. She knew the Queen would have kept her silence on that matter too. "Now tell me, honoured descendent of my brethren; why have we ventured here at such great risk and effort? And be quick, for the brine grows restless."

"You are here to discover the truth. You are here to receive a confession for past mistakes. And perhaps, if we are of one mind, we may discover a current to true greatness." This was delivered in a fervent passion, but Qi'tik felt, like before, that Secci was covering for another, deeper, feeling. One that he was doing his best to hide. Secci bowed to Qi'tik in supplication. "I understand your reluctance. It deserves an explanation, of course. Nothing I speak of could truly persuade you, however. Let me show you instead."