Prologue

POV: Shuichi

V—

How could it be that just a few hours ago I was walking with some essential groceries, to being tied to a chair and having despair filled eyes staring into my soul? It doesn't seem possible, but here we are.

It had been around 2:30, and I had been sent out to go get groceries for my Aunt. On the way back, I noticed a white van trailing not to far behind me. My Detective instincts were telling me that it couldn't be trusted, but I thought that my imagination was just over-reacting. I wish I had listened.

It pulled up beside me, and some people jumped out and pulled me in. I tried to scream and kick at them, desperate to free myself from whatever they were planning on doing to me, but it didn't help. They must have given me some chloroform, because the next thing I had known I was tied to a chair in a dim room. The only light was from some dim flashlights being held to the chins of the same people who kidnapped me. The dimness made it so I couldn't quite make out who they were, but I could tell they were looking at me. I knew why, and it made me shiver, both from knowing why they were doing this and also the fact they were doing this.

These kidnappers happened to be some members of the Remnants of Despair, I could tell earlier due to the fact the people who grabbed me were wearing MonoKuma heads. For whatever reason, they wanted me to fall into Despair, that's why the they were staring at me.

About a year ago, I got the title "Ultimate Detective" after solving a murder case before the police. However, the reason the person killed someone else was for very reasonable reasons, and the culprit made sure I wouldn't ever forget him. His eyes stared deep into my soul, making sure that I would remember every detail of them. Even when I had tried to close my eyes or look away from him, I could still see those things stab me internally as if saying "I had a good reason for this, why must you punish me for asserting justice?"

These Despair filled eyes were doing a similar thing to me. Since the experience, I had grown sensitive to being stared at, but these eyes felt like the one's from the case. And instead of dealing with just one pair, there were multiple all around me. If I tried to look somewhere else, there would be another pair right where I eyes would land. I felt sweat forming on the side of my face, due to the warmth of the room but also from the fight or flight response my body was in the process of deciding.

Just then, a door opened, forcing light into the room and forcing my eyes shut. When they adjusted, the figure in the door became clear: Long hair tied into large pigtails, a frame with a large chest and a short skirt, and long fake nails. There could be no mistaking it, there in the doorway was the Ultimate Despair and Fashionista herself: Junko Enoshima.

Her eyes seemed to be glowing a white color, and red swirls took up the space where her pupils should have been. As she entered, her sister, Mukuro Ikusaba, walked in behind her like a shadow. Her eyes were in similar fashion, just like the people who had been staring at me for the past 15 minutes.

My body trembled in fear as she approached, tears threatened to leak from my eyes. I didn't know what she was planning on doing to me, but I was definitely terrified about finding out.

"Sooooo, this is the emo detective we're going to make fall into despair!" She sarcastically said in her usual fashion, "Look at him! He in tears at just my presence! I'll be surprised if doesn't fall within this day!" Mukuro just nodded in agreement before opening and holding up a bag I hadn't realized she brought in with her. Junko looked at it with a despair filled smile before grabbing something out of it with excited haste. "All right! Now Detective, here's what's going to go down: we are going to torture you both mentally and physically until you fall into despair! So, be a good little boy for Auntie Junko and do it quickly if you don't want to get to hurt!" She said before holding up a knife she'd pulled out of the bag. My eyes widened in fear at both what she said as well as the knife in her hand.