1. Her Father's Eyes

Severus sits on the corner outside the house. Wizards and nurses move around the scene, as well as the Daily Prophet. Severus looks at them, but he does not see them.

What he sees is the image of the only woman he loved, dead on the floor. Her eyes wide open, skin pale and cold, and a scared expression permanently fixed on her face.

He breathed, closing his eyes. Not in an attempt to push the image away, but to hold it closer. The pain is crippling, worse than anything he's ever felt, yet, he chases it still. Because he deserves to feel it.

Look at what you did. Is this who you wanted to follow? The man who did this?

"Severus" a voice calls from beside him. There is only one person who calls him Severus, not 'Snivellus' (the marauders) or 'Sevy' (his mother) or 'Snape' (the few other people who bother to talk to him).

Snape closes his eyes tighter, turning away from the voice in the hopes that it'll go away. He is already drowning in sadness and pain, he does not need anger as well. But the person does not go away.

"Severus" he calls again, his voice more stern but also soft.

He's not aware of how long he's been sitting there, but when he opens his eyes to face the gray-haired wizard, everyone has cleared out.

"How could this happen? You said you would protect them." he whispers softly, the hurt seeping out. He hates how pathetic he sounds.

Dumbledore's careful expression turns, whether to regret or pity Snape doesn't know. The headmaster takes a seat on the curb next to him and he can't muster the words to object.

"I tried my best. I placed them in hiding. But their secret-keeper betrayed them, going to Voldermort."

"Who?" Snape asked darkly. He would find them and make them regret the day they first drew breath.

It was probably Lupin, always standing by looking pitiful when the rest of the marauders terrorized him. Not cruel enough to join in but too craven to stop them. Always a coward. He had warned Dumbledore not to trust a werewolf.

"Sirius Black-"

As soon as Dumbledore said the name, Snape was on his feet, marching off. He didn't know where he was going, but he would find Black.

He had always hated him, how he paraded around as if better than all the Slytherins. As if the Black blood didn't run just as deep in him as it did Bellatrix and the rest of their family. He could surround himself with gryffindors and denounce his family all he wanted, but deep down, he would always be the same as the people he tried to separate himself from.

In any other circumstance, Snape might've experienced satisfaction at the news. That Black had finally let his facade slip and everyone would see what Severus saw. But he found that that wicked gleam of smugness was nowhere to be found.

"Wait" Dumbledore called out.

" Do not try to stop me."

" He has already been captured and taken in." Dumbledore came to stand in front of him, resting his hand on Snape's forearm. " I am sorry for your loss, Severus. I am sorry I have failed you. I have no right to ask this of you, but nonetheless, I do."

"Ask what of me?"

"I need a favor." Dumbledore stated, looking Snape over. The boy's jaw tightened but he did not jerk away or decline. Dumbledore continued. "I need to entrust something with you."

"What?"

"The Potters had another child, a baby girl who was not harmed in the attack. I believe Voldemort did not spare her, but was simply defeated before he could take notice of her."

Shape had not known that Lily and Potter had another child. It hurt him to realize that they used to be the best of friends at one point, and their relationship had disintegrated to the point where he didn't even know this.

"No one knew," Dumbledore answered, sensing the boy's thoughts. "Ms.Evans found out and gave birth to the child, all while in hiding. Severus. I need you to take in the girl."

Snape pulled his hand out of Dumbledore's grip, stepping back. "What?! No. I am no father." Snape exclaimed.

"I am aware of that. It is an incredible burden to place on you."

"Yes it is," Snape practically spat out, losing all of his normal ability to control his emotions.

"The boy has been marked for life. His name is already in the papers and come morning time, every wizard not living under a rock will know his story. All throughout his life, this will follow him. He has had a destiny since before he was born. The girl though, may have a chance to escape this." Dumbledore explained.

"I want to place her somewhere different than her brother. To allow her to be a normal wizard and have a happy life, the one that her parents should have had."

Dumbledore looked away, and Snape didn't have to be skilled at legilimency to tell that he felt regret.

It made Snape happy to know that he felt somewhat responsible for what happened. That he wasn't the only one who would shoulder this. Misery does love company.

"You are skilled enough at oculumens to conceal her identity, your involvement with Voldermort and the inner circle would make her safer from them than if she was placed with another family, and you have my complete trust. I ask this of you not as your headmaster or your superior, but just as a person. You are free to refuse."

Snape turned away, taking deep breaths and trying to process all that Dumbledore had laid upon him.

Snape should refuse. He wanted to. But then the image of Lily laying on that floor returned to him. The feeling of cold skin as he held her limp body. He had failed her in the most vital way. Perhaps this could make it up to her?

He turned around to face him again.

"Okay" Snape found himself saying, drawed out and even, yet nervous.

Dumbledore nodded, "Thank you". He waved a hand in a beaconing motion towards the Potter house.

Snape looked and saw someone in the curtain move. He heard some knocking around and a few moments later, Hagrid emerged from the house, a bundle in his large arms.

He placed the bundle in Snape's arms, correcting his hands in the right way to hold a baby. It was small, as if no more than a month old. Besides tufts of dark red hair, she had no true distinguishable features.

She squirmed in his hands, probably confused at the change. Her eyes opened, bright hazel ones. They were her fathers eyes no doubt, but held a certain brightness and calmness to them that Potter's didn't.

She looked at him in curiosity, trying to figure out this new stranger. He held his breath, expecting her to scream or cry, but she didn't. She stared at him a few seconds more before she seemed to make up her mind, closing her eyes again and relaxing.

Dumbledore watched the interaction, satisfied with his choice.

"Her name is Ophelia."