an interlude beyond

(mini disclaimer: sorry for the short chapter - chapter 2 was when my archive of the original story ended, and so now the rewrite is solely based off memory)

--

I stood up, endless waves of long grass oscillating for what seemed like forever. It was soft brushing against my hand, yet the wind was felt chilling and I couldn't help but feel unnerved standing in this field. As I explored my surroundings, this feeling of anxiety wouldn't end, sweat dripping down my neck and my eye movement slowly becoming more and more frantic. Finally, a change in the neverending horizon let my breath relax with familiarity. The towering stature of the Prophe-tree loomed over in the horizon, and I began to run towards it, calling its name until I heard an unfamiliar voice, and promptly shut up.

"I don't understand" The voice of a young woman echoed outwards, and as I began to sneak closer to listen in, she continued, "I thought you died."

"I did" the Prophe-tree boomed. "It's why I'm here."

"Where is here?"

"Does it matter? I doubt you'll remember it anyway."

Now that I was closer, I could get a closer look at what was going on. Unsurprisingly, the Prophe-tree was still the faceless behemoth of a tree, yet on closer inspection I could see parts of the tree were coated in the charcoal-black, charred, something I didn't want to be reminded of. But despite it's death, I still felt it's intimidating presence, and if it weren't for the fact I was already crouched, I would've gone on my knees and bowed again.

Then there was her.

It's not that she was incredibly beautiful or anything, but she was perfect. You know, just that. It was something about her auburn brown hair, trimmed just to her neck, bangs swept to one side. Her height being ever so slightly taller than mine, but not so tall that I couldn't look her in the eye. Her rich chestnut skin covered by loose clothing that is clearly oversized for her. The shape of her hands looked like they would fit straight into mine, like two pieces of a jigsaw. It was fascinating how much I could describe despite looking at her through several layers of tall grass. Yeah, just perfect.

"So what do you want from me?" Even her voice captivated me, something about the soft quality to it.

"Well, I don't really need anything from you. I'm dead. But, I just needed to be here so you would understand later."

"Understand what later?"

"Well, you won't remember it, but you'll kind of feel it."

"Huh?"

"Don't worry about it, M-"

Before the Prophe-tree could finish, the world around me began to dissolve. Chunks of the ground broke off and rose, before dissipating into nothingness. I reached my hand out towards her, but I was too slow and once again, my vision went dark.