Chapter 1

The Departure

There was once a boy named Anthony, Anthony Price. Anthony was a rather scrawny kid who was always picked on about his size by his peers. He had brown hair that was difficult to tame, blue eyes, and he had braces. Although he was very intelligent, he was always gullible and always a fool for the ladies. Perhaps his biggest flaw was that- in desperate need to feel important and needed- he was a bit too trusting at times.

A melancholy soul was he and had good reason to be. He was a common victim to multiple bullies every afternoon. Ladies didn't find him very becoming due to his him being a "nerd" and because of his sensitivity. What's worse was his miserable life at home.

Tom, his mother's abusive boyfriend, would not only beat on his mother but also on him. Anthony's sixteen year old sister, Heidi, was a constant target of Tom's lustful behavior; he was known to forcefully take her at any given time. The poor kids were forbidden to ever tell of the events that took place under their roof due to fear of what Tom, or their half-crazed mother, would do as a result.

As messed up as his life was, however, there was one speck of light within the dark tunnel of his life- his darling Mariah. Mariah had been the girl of his dreams since the second grade- seven years ago. Everything about her made him feel warm inside. To him, as long as he had Mariah, the world could bring on whatever they could throw at him. Any and all problems he may have been having and all of his misfortunes would disappear by the mere thought of her. It was on that fateful day that she was all he could think of during school.

Anthony arrived at school that day very happy. Unfortunately, it wasn't long before trouble headed his way. When he stopped by his locker a boy named Travis Vain slammed his fist into the one right next to it. Travis was a star football player in high school. He was one of the largest ninth graders who could compete with the best upperclassman players.

The biggest bully of the ninth grade class, one of his favorite hobbies was to torture the "nerds". There wasn't anyone on Earth that he wouldn't challenge to a fight and would start one in a heartbeat. Ladies in just about every class adored him- regardless of the fact that he was a rude and conceited fool- and he always knew what to say to woo them. Yet despite all of his charm and physique, Travis was pretty much a dimwit.

"So, Price," he snarled with a smirk, "we've got a test today and I really didn't study-."

"That's why you have study hall," Anthony shot back.

Before he could react, Travis grabbed him by his hair and pushed his head back into the lockers.

"Ow!" Anthony yelped.

"Shut up!" Travis said, agitated. "Listen here, you ain't got much of a choice ya little punk- ya hear? You can either have a good day or a bad one; the choice is yours, Price!"

Still holding Anthony by the hair, he pushed his head down and put him in a forceful bow. Anthony's books loudly hit the floor.

"So like I was saying," he continued, "I didn't study and I need a little help. Agreed, Price?"

"Y-yes!" Anthony exclaimed.

"Good, see you during second period!"

After a final shove, he left to join his other snickering teammates. Anthony knelt down to pick up his books and he saw Mariah looking at him from across the hall. When he looked into her eyes he saw a gleam of disturbance followed by a look of sorrow.

He forced himself to give her an assuring smile and she smiled back. That smile brightened up his whole day and gave him a sudden feeling of hope and joy.

No matter what happens, he thought, I'm going to tell her today. I'm going to confess how I truly feel to her and NOBODY's going to ruin a day like this- not even a big dummy like Travis. Today WILL be the day!

And then he was off to class.

She was on his mind all day. It didn't matter what he did or tried to do, he couldn't take his mind off of her. Long black hair, fair tan complexion, and brown eyes- she was perfect in his world. One look at her and people would swear that she was a senior already; she always looked more grown up than what she was. Mariah Amor was, to Anthony, the perfect angel...

Before he knew it, Anthony was picking himself up from the floor. It was the end of the school day and he'd been thinking about Mariah so much he didn't notice Travis coming and walked straight into him. Travis turned around and forcefully helped him up.

"Say, just the guy I was looking for," he said sarcastically.

"You were looking for me?" Anthony asked.

Travis smirked. "Of course, man. The boys and I wanted to thank you for helping me pass that test. So we decided that you could hang out with us today!"

"Oh, uh, no- that's okay," Anthony answered while trying to back away. "You don't have to thank me; think nothing of it."

"Aw come on," Travis replied sarcastically, "don't stand me up now." He threw his strong arms around Anthony's shoulder. Anthony tried to pull away, but it was futile.

"You get to go for a little walk with us today. And I won't take 'no' for an answer, Price. That is okay, isn't it?"

He squeezed Anthony so hard that he could hardly breathe.

"No! No problem!" Anthony gasped.

So with a heavy heart, he had no choice but go along with Travis and his friends. Still, all he could think about was his darling Mariah. He was that much closer to confessing his feelings to her. She was so close to him and he just had to be spirited away by Travis and his goons on today of all days. Oh well, there's always tomorrow, he thought. And where are they taking me anyway?

They left the school and not far down the road they made a left, kept walking until they came to a crossroad and made a right, and passed a liquor store shortly after. They made another right and ended up in an alleyway that was kind of dark even in the daytime.

"Um, guys?" Anthony asked a little terrified. "Mind telling me where we are? I don't feel right here so I think I'll go on home!" He turned to try and walk away but was stopped by one of Travis' friends.

"You're not punking out now, are you?" he asked the frightened boy.

"Yeah," began another, "never been in an alleyway before?"

"Look guys, I really should be getting home- if I'm late my dad is going to kill me!" Anthony pleaded. At this point he was at a state of panic.

All of them crowded around him slowly. None of them would let him go despite his pleading. Travis stepped up with the most emotionless face Anthony had ever seen him wear. This look terrified Anthony because he couldn't read it- he had no idea what was going to happen next.

"Listen Price," Travis began, "we're going to play a little game; you can say its practice. And guess what- you're our practice dummy!"

He punched Anthony, with a crooked smile, and Anthony hit the ground with a loud thud. At first, Anthony could almost see stars. All he wanted to do at that point was lie there and play dead but he felt himself being thrust up. He was hit hard in the stomach and it felt as though he had been hit with a brick. The punch knocked him into another person who then punched him into another person and then he was knocked down onto to the ground again.

Almost immediately, while on the ground, he felt himself being pounded everywhere and felt a huge blow being dealt to his head. He was being stoned with punches quicker than he could breathe. Anthony wanted to cry out, but he was losing the strength to.

His sight began to blur. He could no longer hear as well as he could before; he could only hear murmurs, and it grew fainter with every blow. Every moment his body grew more and more numb until he couldn't feel anything at all. Then, suddenly, everything went completely black and he slowly took his last breath.

Anthony Price was now an empty shell in the middle of the semi-dark and remote alleyway to possibly never be found.......