xii. a traitorous friend

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

Skade and Sigyn sit under a single tree away from camp, she watches in irritation as Skade sniffs some herbs when Bloodhair approaches. She would rather be locked away or chained up than follow her sister.

"What do you want of me?" Skade said with a sigh as she jerked Sigyn closer to her with a sharp glare.

"There are things I would know. This undertaking, Wessex....when the signs are favorable and we eventually attack which one of us Danes will earn glory? You saw the death of Alfred. You said it was me who took him from his horse and took an axe to his heart." Bloodhair said to her. Sigyn gagged out of disgust when he grabbed Skade's hand to see the scar on her palm. "I drank with you, more than once."

"I hope you both die soon." Sigyn snapped as the two gravitated to one another.

"Then you left me to be passed from man to man like a drinking cup. Each of you is as unworthy as the next." She snaps at the male and scowls at her sister's growing defiance.

"Hæsten wants you only to hump. He doesn't believe in your power." Bloodhair informs her.

"You abandoned me. Your path has changed."

"Yes, I failed you once. I would not do it again. Hæsten cannot match me, in strength or in spirit."

"And yet, I am his."

"He cannot make you a queen, only I can defeat Alfred." Bloodhair demanded.

"Alfred is now destined to die in his bed."

"Only I can defeat Uhtred. You know it to be true." Bloodhair says as Sigyn laughs at that. That's the funniest thing he's ever said.

"I have never lied to you, Sigurd. But what you wish for and who you wish for, it can never be real while Hæsten is alive. You must kill him." Skade orders and she pulls Sigyn with her as they leave him behind.

The two walk in silence and turn to see Dagfinn and Sihtric riding in, she smiles at the sight of her friend. She wasn't sure why he was here, but she wouldn't complain. Sihtric turned around and noticed her, she quickly ran to the Dane and hugged him tightly.

"Lady Sigyn, have they harmed you?" He whispered in concern and she shook her head no, he didn't seem to believe her if his frown was anything to go by.

"I am alright, Sihtric. I swear. It is nothing I cannot handle." She realized that may have been the wrong thing to see when his frown deepened. Luckily, he doesn't question it and kisses her head as they follow Dagfinn to the fire pit to eat. Sihtric smirks at Skade when he motions for Sigyn to sit with him.

"You like to look?" Hæsten questioned Bloodhair once he caught him looking at the blonde. Cnut watched Sihtric and Sigyn interact with mild jealousy, he would have her and Brida. He would make sure of it.

"Why is the witch eating with us?" Brida deadpanned. "And I am not speaking of the pretty one." Brida said with a nod to Sigyn.

"Because Bloodhair likes to look and that is all he can do."

"She's trouble." Brida said and Sigyn nodded.

"You wish me dead," Skade spoke with a knowing look. "That would benefit whom?"

"Me more than anyone." Sigyn spoke and reveled in the scowl that overtook her sister's face, Sihtric nudged her leg with his own.

"Each of us, all of us." Brida answered.

"Including Uhtred? Did he ride you so well that you now speak for him?" Skade taunted as Hæsten laughed.

"You bore me, witch."

"Sihtric, answer me this: does Uhtred wish me dead?" Skade asked and Sihtric looked away from Sigyn to answer.

"He is undecided. He does not know if he should hump you or kill you," Cnut chuckled softly. "He's afraid of you." Sihtric looked back over at Sigyn with a small smile when she giggled.

"Because she's poison. She has you all by the balls. Believe it." Brida leaves soon after.

"Is Brida your woman or not?" Bloodhair snapped.

"Soon. I'm the reason she has returned." Cnut said smugly.

"Soon?"

"Her men will be my men," Cnut says to them. "And Sigyn will be mine to claim." He adds and Sihtric narrows his eyes in anger at the claim.

"You should tell her to hold her tongue." Bloodhair says instead.

"You should tell her about your wife, across the sea," Hæsten says as he and Dagfinn laugh.

"You have betrayed Uhtred, why?" Cnut asked Sihtric once they grew silent. Sigyn was confused about why he was seen as a traitor until she pieced it together. Uhtred was a smart man and his plan would work.

"Because he is losing men and losing his mind." Sihtric answered. "And I came for Sigyn." Sihtric shot Cnut a challenging look.

"Will he come for my woman?" Bloodhair glared at Hæsten.

"He is afraid of the curse, lord. He wants it gone. Yes, he will come, I'm certain. But he is not the warrior he once was." Sihtric tells them.

"Maybe he is more dangerous now." Cnut speaks as he stands up, he is annoyed at the subtle act of dominance the boy shows.

"More reckless, lord. Unable to plan, that is why I am here." Sihtric adds and Skade looks at him in understanding.