Chapter 1 - Roses are red...

"Stars do not hide from darkness

"Stars do not hide from darkness. Roses do not hide from thorns. Diamonds do not hide from pressure." ~ Matshona Dhliwayo

"I hate you." Echoed in Onyx's conscience. Those were words spoken coldly by Promise as soon as she awoke from her two week long coma.

Onyx had been by her bedside day and night praying for her well being, helping with what he could, and apologizing as she slept. Her reaction to him being anywhere near her was that of disgust, catching him off guard completely. Carter had put a permanent stain in her mind, in regards to her perception of him.

The way Promise screamed for him to be escorted out pierced his ears and heart, making him feel instant agony. A feeling he'd only felt when his mother died.

Mentally he wanted to breakdown, physically he was resistant, and spiritually he knew he'd been the cause for everything she felt and was going through. He could only think of what if he never walked out, gave in to ego, or arrived sooner to prevent the brutal beating she endured. He'd already been on the way to handle Carter once and for all with Caesar, it was just his luck that Promise happened to be at the same place.

As he walked out of the hospital he felt immense shame and pressure to make things right.

While walking to his car he was bombarded by a group of news reporters and photographers.

"Today is Carter Philips funeral. How do you feel about his passing since your dispute in court with him." A young woman asked while holding the mic close to Onyx's face.

"Onyx there's alleged suspicions labeling you as the killer of Carter Philips, is it true?" A male reporter asked.

Onyx looked through the group of people who were dying for him to open his mouth, he to wanted react to their prying by slapping their mics out of his face and telling them to fuck off. He was in that type of mood but let out a sigh instead. "I digress, have a good evening." Onyx replied before climbing inside of his Lamborghini Urus then closing the door, pulling off quickly.

The media had been down his back since the incident with Carter took place. Though he was responsible, the media putting it out there that he was the reason Mayor Carter was dead wasn't a good look. He'd tried to take the attention off of him by exposing what Carter has done anonymously but it only made matters worse.

He now had police on his trail again and they weren't buying his self defense proclaim. They were out to bury Onyx Jones and anyone associated with him just to make an example. The prosecutors had a score to settle from losing their case against him previously. Though Carter was dead wrong they couldn't have people thinking it was okay to kill government officials.