II. Dragonflies

Standing in a circle with Clarke and her team— spare Jasper, of course— it becomes clear that Monty left a few details out. Jasper isn’t missing, as he’d told her. He had been speared, right through the chest. Jasper isn’t missing, because Jasper is dead

“He’s not dead, Odanata.” 

Clarke’s firm words and heavy stare bore into the side of her head, but she’s not looking at the leader— nor is she listening— she’s looking at Monty, only Monty isn’t speaking. How strange; Monty is always speaking.  

Monty Green was speaking when he met Odonata Blair at fourteen. You know, you’re doing that wrong. She wasn’t, but that’s okay.

It wasn’t anything special after that— there’s no story. One day he wasn’t there, the next day he was, and he just never left. She can’t remember a moment since then that wasn’t painted in Green, and, of course, Jasper Jordan was there too, because those two come as a pair. Part of her wonders if losing Jasper means losing Monty as well. Odonata has never claimed to be fearless— if she were to make a list, it would surely wrap around the ARK— and losing both of her best friends in one night would be at the top.    

Monty, in being an engineer on the ARK, is by nature a collector. There are too few supplies in space and too many things that need to be done. That causes an issue with… let’s just say gathering. Sometimes it feels like Monty collected her, too. It makes her feel important, like she’s someone people are afraid to lose as well. The way he holds her gaze now— steadily— reassures her of this. There aren’t many people she trusts more than him. 

“We’re going to find him,” Monty says. 

Right now, she has to trust him.

“Monty is right,” Clarke agrees, cutting back in, “but if that’s going to happen, we need to leave now. Whoever is coming, you’ve got ten minutes to get whatever supplies you need and meet back here.”  

Everyone in their huddle agrees to go, to which Clarke objects only twice. 

The first is Octavia. Clarke tells her that her leg will only slow the group down so she should stay at camp. It’s only then that Odonata notices the crimson patch staining one of her thighs, still damp and in definite need of tending. No one makes any mention as to what had happened while they were out in the woods and she’s too preoccupied with Jasper— in wondering if they’re going to find her best friend or only his body— to spare the energy herself. 

Bellamy seems happy with the call, inserting himself into his sister’s place before pushing her to go find somewhere to rest. Honestly, if only one Blake can come, Bellamy is the better choice.

The second of Clarke’s objections— the one that makes Odonata’s heart sink, almost objecting to her objection— is Monty. Clarke’s reasoning makes sense, though. Monty’s the engineer— he has skills few others share. Clarke is determined— or desperate, but one usually follows the other in anycase— to communicate with the ARK. Odonata shares that desperate determination. Her mom is up there. 

Monty has to stay. 

Monty doesn’t seem to agree, though. “If Dragonfly goes, so do I.” 

Odonata, for the first time in thirty minutes, smiles. She is someone people are afraid to lose. 

A hand presses into the small of her back ever so gently and she turns, finding John Murphy still standing behind her. In all the chaos, she’d almost forgotten he was there. Not now, though— now she recognizes the heat his body emits against her spine. She can feel the rigid stance he takes.