the beginning and end

In the late afternoon, Robert, my very bossy husband, ordered me to fetch him the newspaper from the door. I was in the middle of cooking him lunch, I quickly walked to the door and dropped the newspaper on him.

"You could have just handed in my hand like a civil human being!" he yells at me across the room. He looks through the newspaper and says "Have you seen the news?"

"Not yet" I said in my monotone voice.

"Well that was gold found by the Klondike region in Canada, there is a very close port that is Seattle. Marry starts packing up our stuff, We are leaving tomorrow morning. I want to become rich from the gold we find. Also, I will only give you 5% of both our findings together." He said with an excited voice and serious face.

I nodded, I know that I don't have a choice in this matter I guess I should start packing. Later, I finished packing and put the supplies in the carriage. It was extremely heavy, Robert was watching me do all the work while he just sat there drinking his coffee. The next morning, we sent off to Seattle. It's around 6 months of travel. If we don't have stops, we could get there faster. A week went by and we switched places with guiding the horse. We stopped at a small forest. It was going to be our first break, maybe our last.

I asked him "Can you start the fire, if you don't want to then you won't have any pork for lunch?""I guess I will start the fire." he replied with a snotty remark.

"I am going to go look for berries because I think it would be better with berries."

Robert nods his head, I start heading deeper into the forest to look for berries. I know the difference between poisonous berries and nonpoisonous berries. I wonder around trying to see if there are any bushes in the far distance, I think I see an animal. The animal turns its head, I see dark fur and two sharp ears. The wolf is charging at me, I scream hysterically. I hear in distance Robert's voice, He is shouting out my name. I start running towards him, he has a rifle. He aims at the wolf's head, but he misses. Now suddenly, the wolf is lunging toward him. I saw him trying to reload it, but it got jammed. The wolf leaps onto Robert's leg and bites, his blood splatters everywhere. The rifle is thrown a few inches away, Robert tries to grab the rifle. I decided to step, grab the rifle then shoot the nasty wolf in its brains. The brain splatters all over the ground, the wolf is finally dead. He grunts in agony, he starts to stand up.

"Should we eat the wolf, we can't leave fresh meat here. Also do we have ointment in the carriage?"

As they sit by the fire, snaking on the wolf meat, Robert says "Thanks for saving my back, sorry for treating you like a piece of garbage."