43. Jungkook

Another week goes by, and nothing is new anymore. Everything, for the first time in a while, seems easy. Taehyung's doing better, he and Wooshik have convinced everyone they've gotten married already, we're playing with the Bugatti more than we work, Yeeun and Wooshik are working with the new idea for their business, Sunhee and Reiko are going out (now officially). We're all doing our thing.

And I have utterly adjusted to the life of an older brother. So much you can resist...

There are things in life you need to experience to know how they feel. And I've gone through many different relationships in my life, but nothing is like the siblings bond. Even if we met eighteen years too late, it doesn't change the feeling much. It's not easy to explain. Not to me, at least. Not after I've just barely learned it.

But it's... very abundant. Strong, though I suppose I'm only getting started. I care a lot already, and I care in this familiar, but somewhat unknown way.

I think partly it's because, even though we've been apart all this time, we've shared equally shitty experiences with our parents. The two of us will always be the only ones to fully understand each other.

Sometimes I still wonder what it would be like if our parents weren't like this. If they were better. So many things could be different. I'd like to say for better or for worse, but honestly, I don't know how anything in my life could be better.

~~

We're in the previously usual setting today – Yeeun, Taehyung, Wooshik, me, in our apartment, when my phone rings.

"Unknown," I say, when they all look at me, and pick up. "Hello?"

"Is this Jeon Jungkook?"

"Yes?"

I listen to the guy on the other side, and I don't know if I should be relieved, mad or tired. At least it's not someone who's going to utterly flip our lives around again. Not much to worry about.

"Who was it?" Taehyung asks.

I end up letting out a sigh. "Anyone up for a trip to the police station?"

Eventually, I go with Taehyung.

On the way there, he says, "You seem angry."

"I'm not... I don't know if I am. I don't know what she did to be arrested."

"No license, right?"

"Yeah, but they wouldn't lock her for that. Every cop around knows it's my car. They'd let her go if it was just that."

"Who called you?"

"I don't know the guy. And he sounded professional."

Taehyung parks in front of my least favorite place in the city. We sigh at the same time.

When we walk in, everyone seems too busy to notice us. For the better, actually. While Yoongi always made sure we're not involved in any crimes on paper, and while we made sure to not get in some shit with all the illegal racing and illegal money, there's always a chance someone will be too curious for their own good.

After finding the right cop to talk to, one we know to be easy on the racing, talking to him, paying more than the actual bail should be, we wait for Sunhee by the door. She walks by, not even looking at us, and leaves. We exchange surprised glances and follow her.

"Sunhee!"

She whips around. "What?!"

"Why are you yelling at me now?" I ask. "Weren't you the one to get arrested an hour ago?"