Epilogue

It's not overly weird, the Malfoys and the Potters celebrating the holidays together. Scorpius has spent a good portion of his Christmas hols with Albus since First Year. But his dad doesn't usually join him, and even though he's been cagey about why he's invited this time, Scorpius is pretty sure he knows.

Scorpius alternates between listening to Albus and Lily debate about wixen politics on the sofa beside the huge, impeccably-trimmed Christmas tree and glancing over at James and Teddy blatantly snogging in an armchair in the corner, unable to decide which state of affairs is more uncomfortable for him.

He's simply trying to escape when he makes his way to the kitchen, not actively trying to snoop or anything, but he's delighted by what he finds—

Well, a little repulsed, but also delighted. He does so enjoy being right.

His father has Mr Potter by the knitted green jumper, his fingers twisting in the fabric as he pulls him in for a kiss over the sheets of gingerbread on the floured countertop, the bowl of icing he'd been mixing discarded for the moment.

Scorpius quickly steps back through the doorway and leans against the wall, out of sight. He'd known his father's letters were more cheerful. He'd suspected, he'd hoped. And now he has confirmation.

"I need to finish these if we're going to build gingerbread houses sometime today, Draco," Mr Potter chides. Scorpius cringes, hearing their lips smack together several more times before his dad concedes and releases Mr Potter.

"You're sure you want to tell the children today?" he asks.

"Yeah, it'll be fine. I'm pretty sure they already suspect—"

"Possibly. But you're sure they'll be okay with their father dating me?"

"Draco-"

"No, listen, they've all taken that new course about the war at Hogwarts. They know what I—"

"You listen," Mr Potter says forcefully, but then his tone softens. "Sweetheart, they know you. They already like you. They're not going to care about any of that. Albus might not be thrilled about me dating his best friend's dad, but he's not going to care about the war. Let's just go tell them."

Dad's going to stall.

"One more kiss?" his dad asks.

"C'mere."

Scorpius smiles to himself in slightly-disgusted triumph. Predictable.

"Hey Scorp, what're you up t—" Albus steps around him to walk into the kitchen before he can react. "AAAH!"

"Al!" Mr Potter exclaims. "Sorry, we were going to—"

Albus stumbles backwards with his hands clapped over his eyes, his next words clearly aimed at Scorpius. "WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T YOU WARN ME?"

"You didn't give me a chance!" Scorpius replies, still stunned at how quickly things have turned.

"Language, Albus!"

"Keep your tongue in your own mouth, Dad!" Al retorts.

Scorpius' dad snorts, unsuccessfully trying to contain a laugh.

"Everyone into the sitting room!" Mr Potter shouts, sounding strangled. "Now!"

And so they all end up perched on various pieces of furniture in the sitting room. Lily, James, and Teddy all look calmly bemused on the sofa. Albus is red-faced, his head tucked between his knees in the chair James and Teddy had been sharing earlier. Scorpius sits in the chair opposite Albus and avoids his father's knowing gaze, clearly caught out eavesdropping again by Al's shouted accusation.