Chicken

Friday had come so much faster than I expected, but I wasn't complaining. I had spent the majority of the week arguing with Eddie and Steve over what snacks and beverages should be provided and what music should be played. Originally, Eddie had tried to get me to let the band play live-- but I shut that down quickly since I wasn't sure how approachable Robin would find me after a set. Also, I was pretty sure the students of Hawkins High wouldn't find our 'Devil Music' very amusing. The last time I played Iron Maiden in the parking lot with my car windows down someone threw a coke can at my head. After careful deliberation, Steve and I decided that some Duran Duran, Tears For Fears, and Bananarama would probably do the trick.

I was up in my room getting ready for the party and testing out my new boombox I had bought last week. After I popped in a cassette, I rummaged around my closet for an acceptable outfit. I played it safe and donned my favorite shorts, a black tank top, and a pair of Reebok high tops. As I struggled to put my shoes on, hopping around on one foot, I made my way over to my vanity. I finally slid my foot into my shoe and sat down to do my hair. Naturally, it looked fine, but I did a little teasing to bring some edge to my outfit. I was manically spraying hairspray when I heard a knock on my door.
Steve's voice met my ears, "Yo, Y/N? People are starting to get here... just figured you'd wanna know."

"Oh, uh, thanks, Steve. I'm almost done!" I shouted as I heard his footsteps wander back down the hallway. I could faintly hear music and the chatter of various voices.

I put the finishing touches on my hair and exited my room. The noise from the party gradually got louder as I walked down the stairs. Bass and the hum of conversation continued to fill my ears as I tried to calm my nerves. I walked down the stairs carefully, so I didn't accidentally fall and make a fool of myself.

When I finally looked up from the floor I was met with hoards of people. I raised my eyebrows, Steve had made it seem like only a few people were here. For my first party, there was actually a lot of turnout. A group of girls from my chemistry class were snacking in the kitchen, while other people were dancing outside and chatting in the living room. My body was practically vibrating from all of the noise. I wasn't sure how the sound was so quiet in my room. Between the music and the people, I could hardly even hear myself think. Was Robin even here yet? I took a step towards a brunette bob I had spotted in the crowd when a muscular arm snaked around my waist.

"Hey pretty girl," a voice purred into my ear as the grip on my waist got tighter. I grimaced and whipped around, eyebrows raised, only to find Billy Hargrove, of course, behind me. I snapped out of his grasp, narrowed my eyes, and crossed my arms.

He started circling me, as a hawk does to its prey. Billy had had a thing for me for the past year, just like he had a thing for every other girl in Hawkins. He had tried multiple times to get into my pants, each more disgusting (and desperate) than the last. The last time he tried to take me home he showed up at a gig my band was playing at a local bar and tried to get me drunk. Lucky for me, all of the guys ganged up on him and got him to leave-- it wasn't without a string of cuss words and several promises to beat their ass from Billy though.

"You miss me?" He said putting his finger under my chin. A cigarette was lolling out of his mouth as he plastered a grin across his face. "Oh come on now, I know you did."

"I've told you a million fucking times Hargrove-- Not. Interested," I sneered and started to walk away. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if it had actually been a million times.

"You're just saying that Sweetheart!" He shouted as I walked away, I could feel the girls in the kitchen staring at me, they must think I'm crazy. No sane girl turns down Billy Hargrove. My face started to turn red as I tried to escape, Billy still calling after me. "I can play this game better than you can!"

I rolled my eyes as I shoved my way to the glass door to the backyard and, finally made it outside. I faintly heard Steve yell, "What the hell are you doing here Hargrove?!" as I closed the glass door behind me and took a deep breath.