Chapter 9

Khushi was in a taxi following Rishab's car. She has found out that every morning he leaves for work early but reaches the hospital two hours late. She was curious like always so that morning she decided she would find out the truth by following him. So the moment she heard the door shut, she rushed out and took a taxi to follow his car.

The car went through a dusty road and stopped inside a slum area. Khushi waited for him to get out and followed him. He walked through a narrow lane holding a bag and his white coat. Khushi was confused as to why he was here. She noticed all the men and women greeted him with smiles as he passed. Her confusion ended when she saw him entering the single storey structure with the board that read KK Free Clinic and Health Center.

"You are late." Khushi heard Rishab saying the moment she entered the clinic.
She found him standing with his arms crossed by his chest. "Late?" she asked.
"Do you really think I, Dr.Rishab Khurana didn't know that you were following me? I knew about it the moment you took the taxi. I was waiting for you here but.. What were you doing?"
"Talking to the Mausi outside. Her daughter has asthma. Do we have any inhalers here?"
He smiled, "It's in the back. Bring her inside. That's Dr. Ibhrahim and this is Binod. And she is Dr. Khushi Chopra. She will be helping you today." Rishab declared and the two young men nodded their heads.

Khushi loved working at the clinic but it was time for her to go. She went to look for Rishab but he wasn't there. Ibrahim came to her and said "Dr. Rishab asked to go to the hospital. He doesn't want you to be late. I have called a cab for you. I hope to see you tomorrow."
Khushi nodded her head, "I will be here. Bye."

Khushi wanted to ask Rishab about the clinic but she knew she had to wait. She was anxious to know but too happy to be a part of the work. So she kept a cheerful face while working at the hospital.

It was around noon when they were all called to the lobby area. Rishab was standing with Ryan and Ajinkya.
"There has been a major accident on the highway.There will be incoming multiple trauma victims in a few minutes as we are the nearest hospital with a running emergency unit. I want all hands on the deck. Follow the basic protocols of trauma. Prioritize the patients as per the codes of trauma. Follow the ABC's (airways, breathing and circulation) of the trauma to determine the extent of injury of the patients." Rishab declared.
He looked at the glass doors, "Here comes the first ambulance. Brace yourself."
As soon as his words ended, they heard the sirens of ambulances.

The ER becomes a chaotic place with patients coming in one after the other.

"I want someone here." Rishab screamed, pressing the wound on the abdomen of a patient. Two hands covered the area as he released it. He turned to see it's Sakshi.
"There's no need for a plastic surgeon here. What are you doing here?." He asked.
"I am a doctor first and happen to be General Surgeon, if you remember. You wanted all hands, I am giving mine. Do you have any issues with that?" Sakhshi asked.
He smirked, "Not at all. If you remember you are a doctor then.. carry on."
"Saline and morphine drip first. Nurse, get the blood panel and an X-ray right now. She will need surgery but first let's control the bleed."

"Probable tibia fracture. Get a toxic screen and blood alcohol along with the blood panel and X-ray." Khushi instructed after checking on a patient.
"Alcohol? Is he drunk?" Dr.Pankaj asked.
"Can't you smell? Gadha." Khushi muttered.
"Wait, that's the truck driver who caused this accident. Tum treat karoge isse? I don't think anyone is going to do surgery on him."

Khushi stitched the wound on the head and asked the nurse to line him up for surgery when OR is free and inform the orthopedic surgeon about it.
"You really did it? Wow! I can't do it. Janti ho kitne injured huye haj aur do toh off ho gaye hain, iski wajah se."
Khushi stared at him, "We are doctors first. We aren't supposed to judge before we treat. "
"But.."
"Are you really that free right now? Tu kuch kaam kyun nahi karta? Stop irritating me."