xx. motherhood

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

"I need ale, slave." Osferth said jokingly to Finan as he leaned over to tap Torunn on her nose gently. The baby giggled softly at that and reached up to grab his finger, Finan was holding Tormund who had yet to settle after Sihtric's departure.

"Here." Finan grabs the nearest cup of ale and hands it to him.

"What is it?" Osferth asked when Finan perked up.

"You mean, who is it, Osferth." Uhtred walks in a moment later. "You're back."

"I'm back." They laugh and Uhtred pulls him into a side hug to avoid accidentally harming the baby, Uhtred kisses Tormund's forehead and grins at the Irishman. 

"That's good."

"Sihtric?" Uhtred questioned as he shot Luna a look when he felt her glare at the back of his head.

"Uh, gone. Long gone and, um, with the prisoners, lord." Finan says quietly making Uhtred nod in understanding, Uhtred then raises a hand to place it on Finan's neck. "Good journey, then?"

"It was. I know what I must do now. Osferth." Uhtred greets the monk with a smile.

"Lord."

"You're still alive?" Uhtred questioned teasingly.

"Of course!" Uhtred hugs the boy as Aethelflæd walks in. Luna immediately felt uncomfortable with her presence and had half a mind to take the twins and leave, but the look of Finan holding her son made her stop.

"Reaching Skade will be near impossible. She's in the middle of two thousand Danes or more." Finan informs him with worry as he rocks the baby in his arms.

"It can be done."

"How?" Osferth asked.

"With God's help," Aethelflæd looked at him in confusion as they all went silent. "I'm joking. I've yet to decide." He says with a grin and winked at Lina playfully.

"When?"

"When I am rested." Uhtred said bluntly.

"As soon as you are rested you will walk with me. That is a command." Aethelflæd says and leaves. Luna scowled at the woman and clutched her daughter to her chest softly. Finan fidgets for a moment before clearing his throat.

"Uhtred, Sihtric's departure —" He is cut off by Osferth.

"Betrayal."

"It has disturbed the men. They feel that you are to share the blame. You and your quest for Skade, some may not want to go looking for her all over again. Think about it." Finan spoke quietly and Uhtred nodded.

Hours later, Uhtred and Aethelflæd return with a hostage. Uhtred shoves him down on the stool as Finan stands in from of the fire with cutters and the man whimpers in fright when Finan sits across from him. The babies had finally decided to sleep only because Finan had sung them an Irish lullaby, whatever he had sung was beautiful.

"Ask me anything and I will give you the truth. I swear!" The man begs.

"Brave man."

"I am no fool." The man snapped at Finan.

"You were at Dunholm. You're Aethelwold's man." Uhtred stated as he walked closer.

"I am, lord."

"He sent you here to do what?" Uhtred asked.

"To kill you, lord. And I am glad to have failed."

"Miserably." Finan says and leans his head back to rest on her stomach, the Irishman slumps against her completely relaxed as she raked her fingers through his hair.

"I am glad. I would like to see my wife and children once again. Is that so wrong? When we left Winchester, I did not know we were going to the Danes."

"Why did Aethelwold send men to kill, lord Uhtred?" Aethelflæd asked him as she stepped closer.

"Because Uhtred is Alfred's sword and shield. Have mercy, lady. I had no choice."

"Offa, you will carry a message to the Danes and I will let you live." Uhtred spoke as he looked down at the man.

"Lord."

"Your family in Winchester will be my hostages, should you be tempted to lose your way." Uhtred threatened.

"No, lord. Yes, lord. What is the message, lord?"

"You will return to Aethelwold and to Hæsten, Cnut, and Bloodhair. You will tell them that Uhtred of Bebbanburg is coming as a shadow walker and they will die as my brother died. I will send them all to Niflheim." Uhtred says coldly as Offa cowered under his gaze.

"I can do that, lord. I swear!"

"You will do that." Finan stands next to Uhtred when the man turns to his men, Finan intertwines their fingers together with a small smile.

"Like Sihtric, some of you may doubt me. I understand why, there have been times when I've doubted myself. Those times are behind me now. I am a lord without wealth, without land, I can't offer silver or the walls of a fortress behind which you can grow fat and lazy. Follow me and I will take you down a hard, brutal path, but it is a path that leads to the one thing every true warrior desires: reputation. Follow me and you will have my sword and my oath for whether you are Dane or Saxon, I swear I will die to protect each and every one of you. My mind is clear about what must be done, but I cannot do it without you." Uhtred speaks from the heart.

Finan, Luna, and Aethelflæd watch him with soft smiles and radiating pride. One by one the men stand in his favor and soon they cheer. Uhtred had stopped her to speak of the next action for her and the twins.

"I have decided to stay, I will not put my babies in danger nor will I leave them here with her." She hissed out and Uhtred sighed.

"I know. I will send a man if we cannot come back here, but I swear I will make things right again. I only want you. Even if I have not made it clear, I will work to when back your love and trust." He kissed her forehead lightly making her roll her eyes.

"You will always have my love, Uhtred. You just managed to break my heart." She whispered and allowed him to pull her into a hug.