Reflecting light

When the sword isn't sharp, you make them cut or go on the sharpening wheel. Sparks will fly, no way to avoid that. Your small and delicate hands should feel the wheel ripping your outer edges and chisel the diamond. I know this, for I perform it to my students each day. The voice of a strict old man, sounding through the wind. The same old one, just some weapons and a cottage to live with his bread and juice. I look at the mirror, and hold a blade at one. Then some days, I wished my students could see me without it.

An element without the lessons. Just a mere person looking to craft a new day, in the minds of the young runners. You know, that I am here alone..

One day, a student came to my cottage.

He held the bottle of "seyur" and looked at me. Then, i was surprised. I let him come in my house. As usual, he bowed to me and put the bottle near the left wall.

"sensei, now. I am grateful for your training, and the help it has handed me." he said.

"what.. did you make out, son?" I asked, for I knew that this weaponry is best suited for wars. Inner elements of the human mind are of no familiarity to me. A flower that is in one's hand, is a true sign that you need to keep your guard up for him. I have seen enough bitter betrayals, darkening my alleyway of life.

"We look at each other on a level each day. I hand you this present from the view of a friend, a true savior." he said, and picked the bottle up.

Then I opened my living room door, and we had a seat on the dinner table. My plate of rice still remained, as I hadn't completed my dinner. The lamps were a bit dim, the garden outside was dark at night.

My student poured a glass, the juice filled in.

"last month... my father had a bad time." he said, in a voice filled with a sad note. "He was trying to finish a sculpture. In that work, he poured all he could. But, the clay never molded into his vision."

"pretty normal. If he could try a different way or some other craft." i said,

"I also told him... he still went on to work. One day, he slept on his table and left all the clay down. I came near him, and asked,

"Father, you are better in some other craft. This pot does not define your skill, the king will like anything you make. Like a painting, or a handcraft. I have seen yours. They are so good. '

As I said it, he looked at me with stern eyes."

"Was he angry with you?" I asked, the wind stirred the chime on the window.

"no.. he showed an expressionless face. Then he said to me,

'it's not about the pot that is not forming. I am seeing my head thinking of a perfect and ideal craft. The more I try, the more I seem to come near it.. But I never end up at it, so I am irritated.' he said in a dry way. " the student said. And took a sip.

"Your father is a rather philosophical one, I am no expert to comment on it. But, to know that you have a perfectionist in you is hard to accept." I replied, for I had seen it a few times while teaching.

"Then, I knew it was something he could solve. So I left him alone. Before going, I picked up some broken pieces of a pot we had as a flower vase. I sang.

'relive as a piece of glass.

for you can mold anyday,

don't die broken, and cry on losing your form.

If you think so, who will rejoin your pieces?'

My father seemed to smile, and then I went to sleep."

"Remember, when you were failing at a fight. I had grabbed your hand, and shared a story with similar meaning. I am glad you used it at the right place." I answered. I put the bottle down.

"His pot is now at the most reputed craft shops, I still don't get how it worked. But, I am still grateful to you. Your words brought out the best of him" The student said.

I could not answer him back, but I recall an affectionate answer. something close to every teacher's words I had heard,

"We planted the principle in you. You learnt the best from our sapling."

This sequence is still fresh in my mind, a humane and deep experience that I still cherish. My age, and my youth both have faded into nothingness. Now I feel a need to swim in the ocean forever. To search for deeper sides, and bring out the truth in all I see.

Maybe, my students are closer than me.