episode 02. the dead are remembered better

EPISODE 02 ; blood in the water

THE DEAD ARE REMEMBERED BETTER THAN THE LIVING

THE RAINDROPS RESTED ON HER EYELASHES LIKE SPECKLED GEMS. The clouds poured down water mercilessly, resounding with thunder as if matching her gloom. But despite the sound of the tragic rain moistening the soil, there was deathly stillness in the graveyard. It resembled the ache in every fibre of her being. The indescribable feeling of loss of life.

She squatted down, hunching near the grave engraved with the words 'HERE LIES JULIET HAWKINS.'

If her mother would have been here she would scold her for the bad posture.

She inhaled a breath, remembering the corpse of her sister as she lied unmoving inside her casket.

She looked so serene. Jessica thought.

If it wasn't for the absence of the rise and fall of her chest, you wouldn't know she was dead.

She gently touched the smooth surface of the marble headstone, relishing the feeling of the cold. Burning tears began to form at the corner her eyes but she didn't care to blink them away.

She needed the writhing sorrow, the ember pain to be the fuel to the blazing flame inside her. This wallowing despair is what will keep her silent wrath seething and simmering. Burning.

Tap.

Tap.

Tap.

The sound of heavy boots tapping resounded from behind her in the eerily quiet graveyard but Jessica didn't bother to turn around. Probably another grief stricken person here for their loved one.

She hoped & prayed with a sigh curved around her perfect milky teeth that, whoever this other person was here for, didn't suffer a fate like Juliet.

The heavy footsteps continued, stopping only when they were near her. Near Juliet Hawkin's grave.

A man with black loafers stood, keeping the umbrella over her head, sheltering her from the unforgiving weather.

"You'll catch a cold."

What is it to you?

Anger and frustration flared up inside her chest. Why? What is it now? Has she not suffered enough? Why won't people even let her grieve in peace?

So many bitter feelings bottled up and a throat too dry to scream them out accompanied with an equally exhausted soul.

She gritted her teeth and briskly turned her head up, determined to give this mystery person a piece of her mind, "Why do you ca—" but stopped short upon seeing his face.