Chapter F: I laugh

Christmas, New year and Valentine's day too passed as my studies went on, I was pretty much confirmed to at least score 90%. It was only a week away from the start of our annual examinations. I had just got home from school when Satoshi rang the telephone.

"Hello" - Satoshi
"Hello" - Me
"Big problem, I think I won't be able to complete the entire syllabus before the exam." - Satoshi
"Complete it in your own way." - Me
"Huh?" - Satoshi
"It's all on you how you want to surpass Mayaka but, it has to be an effective way; it has to surpass her." - Me
"Oh! Kk I got it! Thanks Hotaro." - Satoshi
"You're welcome, Good luck with your studies." - Me
"Kk, bye then" - Satoshi

"Later" - Me
Satoshi hangs up. I too go and get fresh and then sit down on my table to study.

A week elapsed quickly too and now, it was the day of the first test. I felt at ease once I received the question paper, every question was answerable by me. I finish the paper in time and submit it successfully. On the other hand, Fukube didn't choose the same stream as me so he had a different paper. He was pretty nervous in the exam hall before receiving his question paper. But, before the anxiety could grow any further, he reminded himself about my words which I said to him on the first day of the vacation after the video session- 'Consider Mayaka as Japan's top student, she scores 99% in her exams. You do envy her right? Your gurl getting all the fruits and you yourself, while you only and only have her'. He told himself that he is the most worthy of Mayaka and that he wouldn't be far behind her. The laddus bursted shortly when he received the question paper, he was extremely happy after seeing the questions.

After the first test concluded, Satoshi rushed out of his exam hall and came to me. "The paper seemed so water like today! It's really weird but I am very grateful for it." Satoshi says exhilarated. "Good for you" I say. Chitanda, Mayaka along with Radao join us and we talk about each other's exams.

The group didn't talk much these days because of the club activities being held and also for the examinations. We would meet outside my exam hall and discuss all the topics there itself. Once done, we would head home and do our revisions. This continued till the end of the exams.

The club activities resumed after the ending of annual examinations. The members of our club came everyday to the club to cherish the last days as the Classic Literature Club team(Not for Radao though). I too went there everyday, and somehow;somewhere, I quitted the life of an energy conservationist.

Two weeks later, the results were declared and all four of our group went to check the results.
When I reached there, I saw Mayaka, Satoshi and Chitanda standing and waiting for me. I exited my car and went to them. "You're here finally, quickly follow us and check your results" said Satoshi who seemed really stirred. Near the result board, there was a huge crowd, everyone was seeing their marks and position.

Satoshi was able to find his marks first among the four. And for Satoshi, his hard work finally paid off as he did surpass Mayaka technically. "Woah! I GOT 10TH POSITION WITH REMARKABLE 94.6%" Satoshi screamed with delight. "I got 84%, 25th rank." Mayaka told everyone after finding hers.

I and Chitanda searched for our marks from the 30th rank, the huge crowd really created problems in identifying our results. As Chitanda and I looked, we reached the top 5 and were reluctant to look up. After all this, it was either we did exceptionally well or pitifully bad. We asked Mayaka and Satoshi to look at the top 5.

"...", Mayaka and Satoshi looked up one by one. No calls even till the top 3. "We reached the top 3 now, still haven't seen any of you two's names yet." Satoshi revealed. Mayaka then looked up, a level higher and said, "This is not good, none of your names have shown yet." "You two need above 96% now." Satoshi told us. Chitanda crossed her fingers and told Mayaka to proceed.
"Um, wait! CHI-CHAN, YOU DID IT!" Mayaka announced. Chitanda looked at the second position with elation and became completely silent in disbelief. "I did it!" Chitanda said with a lower voice. "Oh! You got an outstanding 97%!" Satoshi praised Chitanda. But then, Mayaka and Satoshi looked towards me. "Hotaro...I guess you...unfortunately...lost the challenge to your sister." Satoshi said to me in despair.

It was all hopeless for me then, but miracles still existed. Chitanda confidently looks at the first position, gets overwhelmed and instantly looks at me in delight. "You did the impossible Oreki-san, big congratulations to you." Chitanda informs me. I quickly looked at the first position, it was my name with a staggering 98%. I was so blown away by it that I ended up passing out within seconds after seeing my results. One of the best moments of my life.

When I woke up, I was at home in the living room with my sister sitting beside me. She noticed me awake and said, "Congratulations on beating me, you really proved that age doesn't matter."
"Thanks." I thanked her for her appreciation for me. "By the way, your group has invited you for a party tomorrow night at 9pm. They say they are going to be acting like adults there. The place is Chitanda estate." Sis informs me about the graduation party. So, the roles and duties of Chitanda have already started.. I really feel some disappointment tbh.

The next day, I went to the departmental store during the afternoon hours to buy a gift for everyone. Tomoe-nee-san accompanied me to the shop. I found my diamond there too. After getting back from shopping I took a quick nap before going to Chitanda's home. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any sleep as I was way too distracted in my mind. I get ready and head to Chitanda's estate at 7:30pm. There was no traffic so it didn't take much time to reach there by car.

I got out of my car, told my sis to come and pick me up at 10:30pm and instructed her to not get into any sudden dates as there would be no delays in our party. Sis agreed and went home with her car. I walked to the front door of Chitanda's house and rang the bell. On opening the door, my eyes saw one of the most beautiful flowers yet seen. Chitanda was wearing the most different dress my eyes had ever witnessed. "Good evening Chitanda-san." "Good evening Oreki-san, please come inside." I followed her up to the guest dining room(the same place where the theories and hypothesis of hyouka were presented). I was about to sit at the table, but Chitanda interrupted and asked me to sit at the outdoor pathway near the sliding door. "It's nice to chat while looking at the clear night sky." Chitanda gave the reason for sitting there. I have no issues with it and I proceeded to sit at the pathway. The sky was sparkling with stars.

"You really did great in exams" Chitanda compliments me. "Thanks, but it cost me my energy conserving life." I replied. "Oh well, that's regretful now. Sorry for you Oreki-san." "I guess rosy life was destined for me afterall, the stars too say it". Chitanda looks at the sky and says, "I wish it also told me the reason why I can't be with you." I became nervous. "I don't want to leave Mayaka, Fukube-san and you." "Um, what do you mean Chitanda-san?" I ask her timidly.

"As I already said two years back, this estate, this whole area is where I belong. Even if I really want to become something, I can't leave behind the Chitanda family. If I can't pursue my career, can't leave this place, how will I maintain my sociality with you guys? As you already have realized I suppose, I am holding this party at my place instead of some good restaurant as I am not obliged to leave my house after the setting of the sun. Like this, there will come a time when I won't be attending parties and having fun with you all. So, presumably if this is the last get-together then, please allow me to rejoice this moment at the best."

I listen to her quietly.

"This isn't your last party though, you will definitely be attending more gatherings with us." I told her. This somewhat annoys Chitanda and she asks, "How?"
"The things you are saying are just assumptions, and assumptions aren't the reality." I continue. "These are real facts, I will definitely be separated from you, Mayaka and Fukube-san soon, and after my marriage, I will just fade away from you." Chitanda becomes sadder with watery eyes.

"You said you can't pursue your career and your dream, but what if I pursue it for you, open and manage a company after you?" I say this with my best smile to comfort her. And this suddenly invites the strong winds which start blowing while carrying cherry blossoms across the lawn. The scenario now has just become majestical.

"You will do it for me?" Chitanda asks while being overwhelmed by my statement. "Yes, Eru, maybe it was fated for me to be your helping hand, your personal tool." I confessed to her. "Don't say like that..you're not someone whom I am using as a doll, you're a real person Hotaro, an independent man." Chitanda confesses too.

"Just accept that you two are lovers." "NO! WE ARE NOT!" We yell instantly. "Wait, who said that though.?" Chitanda asks in space. All of a sudden, a wild Radao appears! He shows himself from behind the sliding door. "Fukube-senpai also invited me to the party, says that my presence would make the event more entertaining...but the main source is you guys, not me sedly." Radao explains. "Stop it Radao, you're too young to think about romance." I scold Radao. "But romance is my favorite novel genre... Well don't worry, I will keep whatever happened a secret." Radao promises. "Wait, since when were you here Radao-kun?" Chitanda asks Radao. "Since the time Oreki-senpai has been here" Radao reveals. "Huh?" "Eh?" . "I was right behind Oreki-senpai when Chitanda-senpai opened the door, then entered silently without any of you two noticing. I guess you two were too distracted with each other to have even noticed me. Teehee!"

"Sigh, stop with the teasing seriously, even I am getting annoyed now." I tell Radao to stop. "Well sorry..wait one last thing, next year's anthology will be about the great Hotaro Oreki who did every unbelievable work from solving the hardest mysteries to scoring the second highest score in Kamiyama High School. And the main love interest being... Eru Chi-tan-" "RADAO!!"

With that cry, the indelible party started. Mayashi joined in 3 minutes after the yell. By the end, the party became one of the grand moments I would really cherish as my memories.

And that was it. Radao knew exactly what happened that day. Still, I don't mind even if he reveals it to everyone. I will leave this to Eru while I prepare for my new rosy life.There is a lot of story yet to be covered but right now, I would like to enjoy it on my own.

"One paper doesn't decide the future for someone, fate does." ~SG