Warm and Cozy by the Fireplace

•Y/N: Your Name

—————————————————
__________________________________
Author's POV:
__________________________________

—————————————————__________________________________Author's POV:__________________________________

__________________________________

"So, he's okay, then?" Y/N sighs in relief, lowering a head a bit on the exhale as her shoulders relaxed. Just a few short minutes ago, she had crossed paths with a certain stray man on her way back to work to eat the lunch she had picked up at a nearby deli. He had been sitting on the steps of a library, the hood of his coat over his head, but she was still able to recognize him easily. Lorenzo had just informed her that he found the injured cat named Geo that she had stopped from getting hurt any further the other day

"As well as he's going to be. He's as stubborn as me when it comes to humans, like I said. He doesn't want your help, but I tended to him as well as I could, so don't worry about him, okay?" The woman sighs yet again, this time out of frustration.

"If you're certain, but I still think it would be better to have him checked out by a professional." Sitting beside the man, Y/N unwraps the sandwich in her hand before splitting off a portion to hand to him. It's become a habit of hers, sparing some of her food if she had any on her when she saw him. Knowing that he eats like a starved animal, she could only assume he didn't eat well.

"He won't listen." Lorenzo shivered and curled up his legs to his chest as he rested his chin atop his arms.

"Did you want to go inside and warm up a bit?"

"In there?" Quirking a brow, the man looks back at the large, old brick building behind them and scoffs. "No thanks. I'd rather avoid people."

"I don't think I've ever been bothered in a library. Come on, you're cold, and I'm definitely freezing. Also, the forecast is calling for heavy snow this weekend, so get ready for that."

"Great," the man grumbles sarcastically before glaring up at the thick clouds hanging overhead as Y/N stood up and headed toward the entrance. Turning his head to her, Lorenzo arched a brow. "Where are you going?"

"If I wait on you to make up your mind, I'll have to be back at work already," she shouts back at him, wearing a smirk on her face, since she knew he'd follow her in. Huffing, he faces the street again, tapping his foot in contemplation before throwing his head back and standing up. Silently, he tails after her and was welcomed by the scent of books and cozy warmth when they entered the library. Keeping his ears pinned flat to his head, Lorenzo hunches over and looks around nervously, but to his relief, the place was hardly busy at this hour. Those who were there barely even glanced at them either.

"See, no one's going to bother you in here," Y/N says in a hushed whisper, turning to him slightly with a look of reassurance and a tiny smile upon her lips. At that, his posture relaxed, and he straightened up a little as she lead him towards the back, looking for a place to sit. Eventually, they come across an empty sitting area in front of a lit fireplace with a  carved mantle that held a simple design that gave it an antique look.

"Oh, no way. They have a fireplace in here? Cool." Y/N seemed happy for that as she claimed a spot on a green loveseat that looked a bit old and worn but still held up nicely. Lorenzo too seemed thrilled about it, for he chose to sit on the floor near the flames after picking up a decorative pillow off one of the available chairs to sit on. "It's been a while since I've been in a library. I think I was still in school the last time."

He hums in acknowledgment, but had nothing to contribute, since he had never stepped foot in a library before. Holding out his scarred hands to the fire, Lorenzo almost felt a rumble of delight in his chest as he relished the warmth of the flames. Maybe he'd come by here more often when he got cold? The books might also help to pass time. He couldn't remember the last time he read something. It had been so long. Feeling comfortable, his eyelids began to droop as Y/N watched him warm up. He decides to then lie down, placing the pillow under his head and holding it as he watched the flickering lights dance and spark. The crackling soothed his mind in a way. Softly, he gave out a content sigh.

"Have you been alright lately? You seem tired, Lorenzo." Y/N mentions, keeping her voice quiet as not to draw attention or disturb anyone.

"The cold is always hard to find comfort in for me," he mutters, closing his eyes and curling up a bit. "Finding someplace good to sleep out of the wind has been a bit difficult. I haven't had a good sleep since I last saw ya. It's a pain in the ass."

"Then, come over more often. Honestly, I don't get why you're still reluctant to stay with me. Even if it's just to sleep, I don't mind, or is your pride just too big?" The cat man scoffs at the human and glares at the fire. Her shoulders depress at his reaction. "I'd just rather you were someplace comfortable. I know you don't like being in the house, but when the weather sucks, you know it's better to be inside. You can catch a cold again, or pneumonia, or god knows what else. I worry, you know?"

"I've been at this for a while. I know my limits, Birdie. I'll come to you when I know I pass them." On the surface, he sounded annoyed at her for bringing it up, but to a trained ear, his voice had been softened. She had the right intentions. It just gets too hard to ask for help sometimes, and being as stubborn as he is, that only made things more difficult. Defeated, Y/N pushed no more and pulled out her phone to check the time.

"Well, I should be heading back now, or else I'll be late. Tell the cats I said hi and don't fall asleep in here. They might throw you out," she warns, knowing he was on the brink of it. Lorenzo flicks his hand in dismissal, and so, she stands to leave. As she turned away, however, he called to her in a small voice.

"Birdie?" With a hum, the woman looked over to him. There was silence for a bit before he spoke up again. "I'll come over for dinner tonight. Just me and my brothers."

"Brothers?" She questioned only for it to click moments later. A small smile touched her lips as she asked, "Oh, do you mean those black cats you're always with?" He gives a small hum in answer as his hand tightened somewhat on the pillow. Noting his unusual quiet behavior, Y/N tilted her head in concern. "Lorenzo?" Though he heard her footsteps approaching, he couldn't bring himself to face her as a few words tumbled out of his mouth.

"Their mother took me in after I... Ran away, so to me, they are brothers." A bit surprised, she widened her eyes before opening her mouth to say something only for the man to roll onto his back, shifting his gaze to an irritated stare. "I thought you had work to go to? Quit staring at me." Sighing roughly, the woman rolls her eyes and holds her hands up in surrender.

"Fine, fine. See you later, Lorenzo." Turning her heel, she continues on her way, though oddly enough, a part of him wished to call out to her to keep her with him longer. Maybe he shouldn't have been so curt? He couldn't help it. Sharing anything about his past was hard. The man frowned as she walked away from him, but he wouldn't chase after her. She was busy anyways, so he faced the fire again and mumbled a goodbye.

"Bye, Birdie. See ya later."