17, Phone Call

INT. APARTMENT LIVING ROOM DAY. The singing of birds could be heard from beyond the open window. Cara Brooks sat with her knees to her chest on the dark green sofa. She was focusing on the phone in her hands, fingers working to beat a level of Word Cookies. Silently, she resented her mother for getting her hooked on the game. Aloud, she cursed the letters she had been given. Before she could throw her phone in frustration, it buzzed in her hand with an incoming call. The screen read THAT GUY. She hit answer button and put the phone to her ear.

CARA

Hello?

DYLAN

Wow, you answered quickly. Were you waiting for my phone call or something?

CARA

(rolls her eyes)

No, I was playing a game. Why are you calling, anyway?

DYLAN

Can't a guy want to hear his friend's voice without a reason?

CARA

You can just say you missed me. I'm not Moony, I won't make fun of you.

DYLAN

(laughing)

She's actually who I'm calling to talk about.

CARA

(frowning)

What do you mean? Why?

DYLAN

It's her birthday next week, right?

CARA

Yeah...

DYLAN

I was thinking of sending her something. You know, as a gift—and a bribe to get her off my back. You know, just in case she decides she isn't so afraid of Paisley after all.

CARA

You don't have to get her anything—.

DYLAN

Too late. Except not really, I need your help. I know she likes the show if the fanfiction she sent me was anything to go by—she's a good writer by the way—but, like... who's her favourite character? I could probably get most cast members to sign something for me. Should I put myself in a cake?

CARA

If you put yourself in a cake and flew yourself out here, she'd probably die—.

(pause)

If you're free, you should totally come out here. God, I'm the best sister ever.

DYLAN

(humming)

I could probably make it work.

CARA

You're lying.

DYLAN

I never lie.

CARA

That's a bold faced lie right there. You're going to jail.

DYLAN

You're gonna eat your words when I show up at your door.

CARA

You don't even know my address.

DYLAN

No, but I have Shelley. She's already told me she's going to the party.

CARA

And you think Shelley will willingly bring you here?

DYLAN

She will if I give her a good reason to.

CARA

(smiling)

You're crazy, Dylan O'Brien

DYLAN

I'm just trying to make your sister's birthday magical!

---

i'm trying something new

aka the phone call as a screen play apparently