prologue

Camille's P.O.V

~years earlier ~

I walked through the door happy that I finally found my lost kitten. Cuddling it in my hands I headed to the living room only to be met with a group of men dressed in black. Startled, I gasped causing all their heads to turn towards me.

"There She is.." My dad said in exclusive joy which was rare for him. Truth be told I was always like a virus in this house everyone detested me, my father hated everything about me especially my existence.

" Well, well, well isn't she one price full gem.. I'll take her.... Its a deal well settled Mr. Volkov.. I will give her a week or so before I come for her.. As it seems, keep her well so she might keep 'ʳⁱᵖᵉⁿⁱⁿᵍ ' to exceed my taste" He then turned towards me.. "I'll be back for you honey... Or is it MY WIFE ." he smiled exposing his coffee brown stained teeth. Disgust is all I felt. But the shock that hit me from the stranger's words were worse than an epilepsy.

I quickly ran to my room near the basement stairway and locked myself in there allowing tears to flow freely from my eyes. I could feel my cat at my feet purr in sorrow as if understanding my grief. I felt many things, but i didn't know which one was worse the fact that I was born in this family or the fact that as a ten year old I was considered someone's wife.

Watching my father sell me out in front of my eyes was a certain pain I never imagined experiencing. I knew my presence was hated in this house, I guess it was a mistake to choose to ignore it and expect more. I would be lying if I said I didn't feel like my heart was being ripped out and being stabbed till it bled and remained paper thin.

All I ever did was to be humble in this house yet see the outcome. What I experienced in this house was beyond explanation. I was hated for being a girl. My father desired boys and once my elder sister was born he was promised pure boys by my 'so loving' mother. After I was born I was raised out of pure hatred and disgust.

They hated me for not only my gender but also my body structure. Even at my young age you could clearly see my immature curves, on the other hand my sister was the opposite she was slender and had pale skin unlike mine.

In real sense I never saw the need to have such nice skin as mine when it was filled with scars, lashes, scratches and burns. This only made my sister hate me and be jealous of my appearance. I always hated it, but I believed I was persevering for my little kitten's sake.

She was the only one left out of my cat's litter of four. She was covered in white fur and had a black stripped fluffy tail. I was suprised that even after they were thrown in the rain by my dear parents and their mother being killed brutally by them as I watched that she managed to survive.

I remember I cried the whole night and in the morning when I passed by the trash and heard some frail meows only to find her lucky enough to escape death and see her lying on her other courpse of a family. That was when I snug her in my coat and sneaked her back to the house only to be met by my earlier encounter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Its been four days since my heart breaking encounter. I would always hear my parents happily whispering how my absence would make them joyious and rich. Although I was young I knew I had to leave this hell hole before it broke loose.

It was on a Wednesday and as I was busy eavesdropping my parents conversation I heard that the certain man was coming for me on Saturday. In my small room I tried my best to pack my small clothes in a trash bag.

My cat that I now named, fifi, was always in my room avoiding death as I'd like to assume. I knew I would never in my ten year old senses dare to leave her behind. I ought to search for a box and also prepare her for the journey.

As Thursday approached I luckily found a box in our trash can. I gladly took it and made holes around it I was sure Fifi would fit in there and turn freely.

My mind was already made up that I was leaving on Friday night and I did not want my plan falling back . I had a few things to add up like food but those were the last minute stuff to pack.

I had gathered some money that I stole from my father's wallet each time he left it by the table side. I did get lashed for the missing money although I rejected having it. I knew as usual I will always be at fault. All will be worth it was all I told myself as I felt stinging lashes on my back.

Finally, it was Friday night. The house was silent indicating that everyone was asleep. I silently took my bag, put my cat in the box and tip toed to the fridge. I took out some bottled milk and the two lucky sandwiches I found sealed in there.

Without second thoughts i opened the back kitchen door that led to fence. I made sure my cat was safely on the other side before i passed my clothes.

"Where the hell do you think your going.." Turning my head to the voice i saw my father by the door holding a knife.

He approached me as I hurriedly tried to fit through the fence. The twigs cut through my frail skin but that did not hinder me from anything. As I was about to make it through I felt a stabbing pain on my upper hand that slid to my back.

It was clear my father managed to cut my skin as I was trying to get through the fence. The pain was worse considering that twigs were poking the wound.

Luckily I made it out, holding my bag and the box containing my cat I ran aimlessly as fast as my legs could carry me.

I ran for what felt like hours until i reached a bus station. People stared and some made effort to talk to me but all I did was flinch. I made it to a public bathroom and decided to check my bleeding arm.

Looking in the mirror I was sure that would clearly leave a scar. I took off the shirt I wore and used it to clean my ugly wound. After scanning the toilet I luckily found a pad that I tied on my wound as I saw people do in the movies. I then wore a tight shirt and sweater to keep it in place and exited the place and headed for the bus.

I had no specific place to go but what was clear was that I was beginning a new phase of this young life of mine. A new life that only included a growing 10 year old child and a month old kitten. All my mind played was 'LET THE LIFE BEGIN'